Monday, June 8, 2020

What Can I Do?

Watching our city streets in turmoil shakes me to the core. I assume every one of us have experienced a myriad of feelings. Many, like myself, don’t know what to do, but want to do something for the injustices that we see.

I have not tasted the harsh reality of discrimination. I have never suffered for the color of my skin. I have never experienced sheer terror for my family. I’ve not struggled to breath with a knee on my neck.

It shouldn’t be this way. What can I do? What can you do? How can we be a part of the solution?

For me, personally, I am asking God to help me in this journey of understanding. In Psalm 25:4-5 it says “Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths, guide me in your trust and teach me, for you are God my Savior and my hope is in you all day long.” I was memorizing this scripture this morning on my walk. It’s really a prayer for such a time as this. I need God to show me, teach me and guide me. Why? Because it’s in Him I place my hope. I know He WILL help me if I ask. Let’s start this journey by asking God for His help. He knows more than anyone how to proceed. Prayer: Lord, show me your ways. I will trust you to guide me on this new journey. Amen.

Secondly, I want to listen far more than speak. The voices of injustice have gone on for way too long. Racism is a horrible sin, and the results are systematic oppression. This is the exact opposite of the heart of God. We have lived in our own comforts, failing to listen attentively to our black brothers and sisters. For this, we need to ask forgiveness. Prayer: Forgive me, God, for when I only want to listen to voices that reinforce my own opinions that I hold. Forgive me for when I’ve sinned against you and against my neighbor in the things I've have done and failed to do. Forgive me for wanting to teach, rather than be taught. Yes, Lord, I’m not a good listener. Please teach me how to inquire of others, longing to learn and help. Amen. (adapted from Chris Hall, We Have Refused to Listen)

Thirdly, I am asking God to teach me to walk in humility. Have you ever prayed for humility? God loves to answer this prayer! Humility is a beautiful thing, but asking God to empty my heart of pride is not fun. It starts with looking at my own heart and grieving the sin in my own heart. It’s so easy to see the sin in others, but not as easy to see it in me. Walking in humility can be the start of so much change! Prayer: God, reveal to me the ugliness of my own prejudice. Teach me to have a lot of love, a lot of listening and a willingness to learn new things. Give me a teachable spirit. Lord, I desire your humility. Direct me to the places and people who can teach me how to love in new and unexpected ways. Amen.

May God guide each one of us in our new journey of loving, listening and learning. Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment