Monday, June 22, 2020

A Letter to my Heavenly Father

Dear Father in Heaven, I often don’t stop and consider you on Father’s Day. I remember my ninety four year old father and love to reach out to him on his special day! But today, I write a letter to You, my heavenly Father.

I’m thankful for You being a personal God, one who is intimately acquainted with all my ways and yet loves me still the same! (Psalm 139) Oh, how I would like to hide portions of my life from You, but You know it all anyway! To be intimately known by You! You know all, yet continue to love me like the perfect father you are.

I’m reminded that many who no longer have earthly fathers. Many had wonderful fathers! Some experienced absent fathers. Others endured fathers that abandoned or abused them. But, You, Father God, are One of a kind. In Psalm 68:5 you are a “Father of the fatherless and protector of widows.”  In James 1:17 I learn that  “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.” In Psalm 103:13 “As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him.”  It’s important to know that even if our earthly parents pass on or abandon us, “the Lord will take me up.”  (Psalm 27:10)

Thank you, God for being my loving heavenly parent. Psalm 103:12 assures me “As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.” Thank you, Father, that You never hold a grudge or bring up my past. You are always approachable, You never have a bad day. I will never find You in a bad mood. You are not distracted with the busyness of your day, but fully accessible to me. In Hebrews 4:16 we can “draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” Even if I awake in the middle of the night, I can talk to you because in Psalm 121:3 I learn that “you will not let our feet slip because You never slumber.”

Thank you, Father, that your timing is perfect. You don’t make mistakes or forget what you said. You always remember! I can trust you with my entire life and future. You know how to give good gifts at just the right time. In Psalm 84:11, I learn that “No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly.”

I pause and just reflect on these Scriptures today. Thank you, Father, for your immense love for me. I’m so thankful to take this time to meditate on the significance of you as my heavenly Father, Amen.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment