Monday, June 15, 2020

Lament

Lament isn’t really a topic of conversation that comes up every day. It’s a word that we rarely, if ever use. The definition of lament, according to the Oxford Dictionary is ‘A passionate expression of grief or sorrow.’

Perhaps you and I have lamented in this season more than we know. I have lamented over the loss of life and all the ramifications of COVID. I have lamented over the tragic loss of George Floyd and others. I’ve struggled to deal with so much “stuff” damage due to a hailstorm. I’ve lamented over the recent loss of a friend in a bicycle accident and another friend whose cancer has worsened. I bet you could come up with your own list. As many folks suggest, maybe it’s time to move on to 2021?

I’ve learned, however, during this tough season, that it is good to lament. It is healing. It is really an overlooked form of prayer found throughout all of Scripture. The Psalms contain over 65 laments. They include laments for illnesses, victims of suffering and the dead. There are laments of vengeance, for protection, repentance, depression and loss. (Lament- What Does Lament Mean? UnfoldingFaith.org. )

There are people in the Scripture who lamented openly about their circumstances….Job, Jeremiah, Hannah, Moses, Tamer, Jesus and others.  Perhaps, by looking at some of these men and women who have gone before us, we get a better idea of being honest with God. God wants us to express our pain to Him.

Check out some examples of lament in Scripture:

 “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” Psalm 22

 “Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!” Mark 10:47

 “Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord; Lord, hear my voice!” Psalm 130:1

“How long, O Lord? Will you utterly forget me?” Psalm 13:2

Just a few days ago, I was really struggling with the weight of our country, but also so many personal challenges that had all converged together. The stressor leading up to it was watching our puppy experience anaphylactic shock one night. Having just lost our other dog seven months ago, it was agonizing to watch. It was in that deep pain, I turned to Psalm 121. In those few short 8 verses, I saw the word “help” two times. I saw the word “watch” five times. Repetition can be a tool that shows us the importance of something in scripture. Not only was the Psalmist praying to the Lord and asking for help, he was reminding himself that it was the Lord who watches over him. As I lamented to God, about all that came out of my mouth was “Help!” But, somehow, I knew that God was near. He had heard my prayer. He DID help me! Sometimes, our prayers are just one word prayers. Help.

Our laments can be raw, angry, sorrowful, loud, short or downright rude. God hears everything we feel. He cares. Just as with a friend, when we can be honest with God, our relationship only grows! It is in that place where we find hope.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment