Monday, August 13, 2018

God's Opinion

I can get overwhelmed checking Twitter or Facebook or Instagram, so often, I just don't. It’s nice to keep up with people, but am I really keeping up? It’s good to encourage someone, but how many people can I really encourage It’s interesting to hear someone’s opinion, but how do I knowthey’re right? 

How do you know that what someone says is really true? Social media can distract us into a world of people’s opinions and arguments that have the potential to leave us blindly confused. Before we know it, we’re just mindlessly sliding our finger from one post to another. Nothing’s really going into our mind and less is sticking.

I love this quote by Christine Caine: “What God says is important, not what man says. Do not be a people pleaser, but be a God pleaser.” (see Galations 1:10) You see, the more my focus is on what everyone in my little iphone box things, feels or says, I can get caught in this trap! People can become bigger than God…. if I let them.

Let’s consider some qualities of God, creator of all:
* God is omniscient- all knowing. He created you, so He always knows what is best for you.
* God is righteous.
* God is just.
* God is wise.
* God is faithful
* God is loving.

These are God’s traits not just some of the time but all the time. He possesses these qualities completely! (T. W. Hunt and Catherine Walker, Disciple’s Prayer Life, page 110) As I look over this list, I realize there is not one person on social media, at work, at home or anywhere, for that matter, that is like God. Why would I want to disagree with Him? Why would I want to put most my focus on what others say? Our opinions (yours and mine) will never be as significant as God’s opinion.

Scott Sauls writes “If we resist the Bible (what God says), our only remaining basis for truth is our feelings and/or popular opinion. That’s a dangerous place to be.” As you start this day, I encourage you to spend time getting to know the One whose opinion matters. Make time today, and every day, to step away and draw near to God.”

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment