Monday, August 13, 2018

Deflated!

This past week, my husband and I ventured out for a bike ride in Phil Hardberger Park. We left early in the morning with the goal of beating the heat. We were fifteen miles away from home when all at once I noticed my one bike tire feeling really close to the hard cement. Rather than riding on a tube of air, I was pounding the rocks with a metal rim. Uh oh. 

Not to worry, as my handy husband can fix about anything! So, out came an extra inner tube, a bike pump and bike tire irons. Apparently, he replaced the leaky tube with a rotted tube. Uh oh. We had nothing left but sheer desire to get back home going for us. Ben pumped up the leaky tube and off we went.

The leaky tube seemed to last about two miles before I felt a direct connection with the bike path. This went on every two miles. It gave new meaning to Deflate-gate.

I felt kind of deflated with my deflated tire, but all at once, we came upon Two Brothers BBQ Market. By this time, it was lunchtime and we couldn’t be happier! Ben caught an Uber home, picked up the truck and came back to get me and the bikes. Happy Ending.

Deflated in the dictionary means "to let air or gas out of." But, it’s second definition is this: "To suddenly lose confidence or feel less important."  To be honest, there are times that I feel deflated. Disappointment has a way of deflating me. So does bad news from a doctor. So does fear. So does feeling insignificant. Yeah, being deflated is real, very real. As I’ve gotten older, I seem to run to God quicker when feeling this way. I realize that He is the only One that can breathe hope and encouragement into my soul. He is the One that reminds me of truth, His truth. He gives meaning to the chaos and order to my world.

How do you handle days when you feel like you've crashed and burned? Being deflated is real, but doesn’t have to sink you down deeper. God and His Word give hope, encouragement and a reason to keep going.  

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28) "Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink." (John 7:27)-How foolish we’d be to turn down such offers today." @ScottyWardSmith

"Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice."  Psalm 51:8

"God doesn’t allow things to happen to mess with our heads. He uses these circumstances to shape our hearts. He knows difficulties and hardship and ambiguity are what cause us to grow because we are reminded of our absolute dependence upon Him." Bob Goff, Everybody Always

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment