Monday, February 19, 2018

What Do We Do?

The morning after the tragic Florida shooting, the news radio anchor was recalling all the mass shootings that have happened in past years in our country. As he read off city after city and the number of deaths, my heart sank as I remembered each one. Parkland. Sutherland Springs. Las Vegas. Orlando. Charleston. Sandy Hook. Aurora. Tucson. Virginia Tech, Columbine and many, many more.

What do we do? Of course, we want to do what we can to stop such tragedies from occurring. Indeed, there are many things we can do to make changes. Sadly, because we’ve gotten used to so many of these mass killings, we respond with sadness, send thoughts and prayers, debate on what to do, complain about what’s not being done, try to make a difference and then go back to our daily lives. Repeat the cycle.

I have to admit that it’s been a while since I thought about the Virginia Tech shootings and those still grieving. Sadly, I haven’t prayed for a while for those families in Las Vegas who have lost a loved one or been injured. I can’t remember when I last gave thought to those families who lost loved ones in Sandy Hook. Even with Sutherland Springs so close to home, I can forget!

You don’t forget when you’ve been affected. You don’t forget when your life is changed forever. Many families are waking up this morning with lives changed forever. They won’t forget. I must say, my family has tasted such horror and I can assure you, you never forget.

And every time another shooting or trauma happens, I want to get mad. Even mad at God! Why and how could He let yet another something happen? Why is there so much evil in this world? Why, why, why????

This morning, I read God's Word for help. God knows full well tragedy. He allowed His One and Only Son to die on a cross. God isn’t some distant, detached deity that is watching us from a distance. God isn’t the creator of evil and suffering. God is not unfamiliar with our own suffering right now. He is near to the brokenhearted. He is near your broken heart and mine. Is it really profitable to get mad at God?

While being imprisoned in a Nazi death camp, Corrie ten Boom wrote these words “No matter how deep our darkness, God is deeper still.”  Every tear we shed, He cries too. So, what do we do? When tragedy and suffering comes, make the choice to run to God’s arms. He is deeper still. He will give pure peace for this day and hope for your future. Be a difference maker in your community with God’s help. The One who never forgets will help you navigate the challenges of our day. Try Him.

“I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. You will have suffering in this world. But be courageous! I have conquered the world! John 16:33

 Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment