Monday, February 12, 2018

Sweethearts Valentine Candy

I can’t get through Valentine’s Day without having some of those adorable Sweethearts candy. (Pink’s my favorite color.) I’ve tried avoiding them, but somehow, those cute little (or big) hearts are just way too tempting for me. I blame it on my grade-school Valentine’s Day exchange parties. I got hooked then.

Created by the Necco Company years ago, these candies are anything but stale. This candy hits HEB the same day the Christmas decorations came down. Throughout the years, Sweethearts sayings have reflected how our country and culture have changed. New sayings for today’s culture are: Text me. Tweet me. LOL and Bestie. The company has even added and dropped sayings based on how people communicate. What’s cool. What’s not cool.

Even though Valentine’s Day would be under the heading of a Hallmark Holiday, I have a feeling God loves when we focus on love. God LOVES it when we love other people well. It was His idea in the first place! So, I was drawn to 1 Corinthians 13:3-7 (MSG) this week as we celebrate Valentine’s Day.

“If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love.

Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have.
Love doesn’t strut,
Doesn’t have a swelled head,
Doesn’t force itself on others,
Isn’t always “me first,”
Doesn’t fly off the handle,
Doesn’t keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn’t revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything.
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.”

How can you show those that you dearly love this kind of love? How can you show those that you don’t like so much this kind of love? How can you show those you try to avoid this kind of love? God has given us a pretty good idea of His kind of love. May each one of us ask God for the ability to truly love people well. Happy Valentine’s Day!
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment