Monday, February 5, 2018

Busy Rushing Around?

I just did my "to do" list for this week. My "to do" lists can be a joke. I write a ton of things down, but always seem to fall short in getting items crossed off my list. Sometimes, my "to do" list causes me great stress. How will I get it ALL done?

One of my YMCA Ragger Goals for this year is to live a peaceful, calm and relaxed life, looking to Jesus Christ as my model. It turns out that Christ seemed to be pretty busy, yet at the same time he was not busy. Jesus, how did you do it with so many people wanting your attention? At times, Christ was so busy that his disciples tried to keep people away. They were like secret service agents trying to protect Him from the chaos! But, they didn’t stop Jesus from loving people! 

Jesus didn’t have a calendar or phone or cool strategy on managing his busy schedule. His aim in life was to do the Father’s work and to please Him…. and He did that perfectly. He had alone time with the Father and never did one thing outside the Father’s will. And so how do you think Jesus was so content, relaxed and peaceful?

I don’t see many people living this type of life, but it is possible. The closest I saw to this was a professor of mine, Dallas Willard. I had the incredible honor of being in a graduate class with him at a monastery in California for two weeks. He modeled such peace, despite being a very sought after and busy man. Watching Dallas inspired me to such a life. 

How does your busyness send you soaring in anxiety? How does your busyness paralyze you from loving those in your world? Why not try doing a few things well today with a non-anxious heart?

Let’s start today remembering what really matters and who matters. Meditate on the verses below.  I pray that God gives you the wisdom you’ll need for today to get done what needs to be done….AND the grace to do it with a peaceful, relaxed and calm spirit. It is possible.

"You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you." Isaiah 26:3

"This I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in Him." Lamentations 3:19-24

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made know to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment