Monday, February 13, 2017

What Can You Count On?

This morning, on my way to the YMCA, I saw an eight-horse trailer rig pass by while waiting at a red light. I knew exactly where that rig was going. The San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo! I love, really LOVE this time of year! The Rodeo and February go hand in hand here in San Antonio! You can count on it!

There are a lot of things we count on in life. Good health. Happy and healthy kids. Great jobs. Secure finances. Outstanding doctors. Automobiles that run. Great stock market. Successful surgeries. No more cancer. Sports team that win. Trusted friendships.

Sooner or later, what we count on may fail us. Something goes awry. Life’s plans and outcomes don’t go as planned. For me, an active gal that rarely sits still, a broken ankle rocked my world. I didn't count on it. Out of left field. It is during these times, when life doesn't go my way, I have a firm anchor, One who will see me through. What comes to mind for you? What has rocked your world?

Life’s circumstances can change hourly. Our relationships, health and jobs are impacted by so many circumstances. Really, what can we truly count on? In the midst of my quandary, I can’t go long before I remember that God will never disappoint. All throughout the Bible, God pours out His love and promises upon us. Try reading Psalm 139 or Psalm 19 for starts. God can and will always be worthy of our complete trust.

What has kept you from counting on God for the treasured concerns in your heart? Perhaps, today is the day to invite Him to give you security and peace where life’s circumstances come up short.

“And hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.” Romans 5:5

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment