Monday, February 20, 2017

Speaking Without Thinking

I took a hiatus from my Spanish classes, but grateful to be back in the classroom this week. It didn’t take long to get back in the Spanish groove. Spanish is such a beautiful language! Every syllable is enunciated and communicated with such eloquence, when done by my teacher. If only I could speak like her! I look forward to the day when I can speak Spanish without thinking about it!

Sometimes, I’m guilty of speaking in my own native tongue without thinking about it. I’m reckless with my words. It can happen when I least expect it. I get irritated. Interrupted by a sales call. Challenged by a difficult person. Disappointed by a circumstance. Or in a deep conversation with my husband. Can you remember the last time you said something without thinking?

The Bible speaks often about the tongue. It reminds us that nothing carries more power for hope AND hurt, building up AND tearing down and giving life AND spewing hurt in our words. We’re so quick to judge our fellow man or woman with our words. Gossip in the workplace just seems normal…and it’s so tempting to join in. Even with those we love most, our families, we’ve been known to slap out a few choice words. When anger is part of our circumstance, our words become like a crescendo on a page of music. Soft, louder, and loudest. Oh, how we can hurt others by our words.

Why should we pay close attention to our words? Our words reflect our heart. If our heart is far away from God, we won’t care about our words. But if we love God and want to obey His word, we want to please our God and He has much to say about how we speak to others.

Today, you’ll probably have some occasion to deal with a difficult person, be met with an interruption or just pass on your crankiness to others. Will you respond with grace, patience and kindness?  Will you think before you speak? Will you ask God for help? Check out the verses below and make them your prayer for today. Dios te bendiga.

“A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” Proverbs 15:1

“Let your conversation be always full of grace.” Colossians 4:6

“Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.” Proverbs16:24

“Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger.”  James 1:19

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment