Monday, November 14, 2016

Zoe's Thoughts on the Election

Hi, I’m Zoe, the Abbott’s adopted me a little while back. Mobile, Alabama is my actual hometown but now I live with them. They feed me, house me, and generally treat me as family; so I guess you should not be surprised that they let me be the guest columnist for today.  After all, I’m no longer a puppy, I’m full grown, actually a little over-grown, but speaking for myself, I am nonetheless pretty obedient. I do a lot of tricks for them, like dancing, sitting, and chasing. I even know how to play London Bridges. I have been considering becoming a therapy dog ever since my mom started using those two sticks called crutches. But now, after this week, I’m sure I have even more to offer…

You see, I’ve noticed they’ve been a little distracted lately. One night last week, my mom watched TV until mid-night, way past our bedtime.... I was already a bit confused with bedtime after that Daylight Savings Time thing. Some special event was going on that night. I understand the event that took place only happens every four years, so this was my first time to experience one. Wow, it was a doozy! It seemed to have ruffled a lot of human beings’ feathers (BTW: as an English Springer, I have what people call feathers, I think mine are really cute.). Anyway, I heard lots of loud noises on that big square machine over the last few months. 

It looks like people are mad, afraid, and all kinds of other things just based on what that square box thingy was saying. I’m glad God made me a doggie, because I believe God uses me to teach humans about what’s really important. I’ve learned to trust and obey my parents because I know they love me. I’ll do whatever they say, wellalmost everything. I’ve learned to play nicely with other doggies, even though they look different than me. Some are really tiny, some way bigger than me, some different colors, but all in all, we tend to get along with one another.  Many of these doggies have different opinions on how to play. Some want to play rough and tumble. Others want to chase me. Some of my friends swim in the river with me. All in all, we learn to do life together and respect each other, even though different.

Do you know my best quality? My best quality is unconditional love. I love my masters, even when they do stuff I don’t like. I forgive them quickly and don’t hold a grudge when they give me a bath or put medicine in my ears. It seems human beings need to learn more about this kind of love. It comes first and foremost from God. I know my parents love God very much and I know He loves them, just as I love them and they love me.

That square box keeps showing scary repercussions that resulted from that big event last week. It seems that many humans aren’t loving each other the way they should. That makes me sad. How about you? How will you demonstrate love and respect to those around you today? Love, Zoe

“I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. This is good and pleases God our Savior.” 1 Timothy 2:1-3 NLT

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment