Monday, November 28, 2016

Advent Attitude Adjustment


I must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed. We had just gotten back the night before from visiting family for Thanksgiving. Traveling with crutches? Don't recommend it. As I woke up, I felt my foot, still swollen and learning how to walk again. I found myself grumbling inwardly. "I'm so very tired of using these crutches. I'm so weary of still struggling to get around. It's hard to believe four months have gone by since my accident in Colorado. Will I ever get well?" Yes, I was having a royal pity party for myself.

It then occurred to me that today was the beginning of Advent. Not sure if I looked at the calendar or what. I just knew. My mind traveled back to my childhood, when each Sunday we would gather around the breakfast table and light the advent candle. With childlike wonder, I would listen intently as my mom read scripture about the birth of Christ. Today, it occurred to me that I needed an Advent attitude adjustment and a bit more childlike wonder.

We have just officially entered into the advent season. Advent is the period beginning four Sundays before Christmas, observed in commemoration of the coming of Christ into the world. It's a time to stop, prepare, focus and anticipate Jesus' birth. Yet, so often, WE DON'T STOP. We move through the holiday season like we're on steroids. So much to do, so little time. Decorating the tree. Buying the gifts. Attending the parties. Before you know it, it's December 26, and we're glad it's all done.

Today, I need prayer. You need prayer. I need to get my mind off my circumstances and reoriented to my God. As you begin this day, join me in prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father, On this first week of Advent, I praise you and thank you for this glorious time of year. Forgive me for my focus on everything but You. Christmas is ALL about you. I can become so busy and so consumed with everything but the true meaning of Christmas…. your birthday! Help me embrace the story of Jesus' birth with childlike wonder and hope. Rather than worrying about all I have to do, remind me of the peace of God that is available to me 24/7. Allow me to use my time, talents, treasures and tears for the sake of others. Help me to sow peace, not conflict. Help me smile more and frown less. Help me give more and want less. Help me stop being so impatient with people and give people grace, the same grace I need as well. Forgive me of my sins, Lord. Perform the Advent attitude adjustments I need today. Make these next 27 days before Christmas radically different in my life. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment