Monday, November 7, 2016

Lessons From the Friendly Confines

I can’t say I’m a big baseball fan, but found myself glued to the TV for this year’s World’s Series. I was born in Cleveland, but lived a number of years in Chicago. Not sure I had a preference for who won, but was so happy for the Cubbies. They had waited a long time for this. 108 years to be exact.

And then, there was Game Seven. Game Seven. Has there ever been such a World Series game as this one? The rain delay almost did me in, but somehow, in the back of my mind, I knew history was being made and would not give in to my drowsy state.

During my years in Chicago, I grew to learn that Cubs’ fans were the ultimate fans. Think about it. These fans cheered for a team that usually lost. Loveable losers. They had all sorts of excuses, blaming it on Billy Goats, a guy named Steve Bartman and who knows what else. But, these fans would still show up at The Friendly Confines (Wrigley Field) to cheer like crazy. I never quite understood it. I guess the fans just always believed theymight win.

Cub fans believed in a team of people that most never knew personally. They believed in team after team that were not so good at playing ball. Their parents and grandparents believed that someday the Cubbies would make it to the World Series. Even the oldest of Cubs fans interviewed believed, knowing that now they could go to their grave, because the Cubs finally won.

One of the greatest gifts you can give those around you is to believe in them. Believe in their work. Believe in their dreams. Believe in them as a person. Believe that they can grow. When you believe in someone, you are FOR them. You look for specific ways to encourage them. You take time to listen. Really listen. You care about their success, not just about yours. You pray for them and want the best for them, even if they excel beyond you. You take time for them, even when you don’t have time. 

Just think what happens when you believe in people! Just like the Cubs fans, you eventually see the results. You see things change. You see people change. Let’s take a lesson from the Cubs’ fans. Become a great fan of the people around you. Even if they fail, keep believing in them. Someday, that might change.

“Do all the good you can.  By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.”  John Wesley

“He said ‘Love…as I have loved you.’ We cannot love too much.” Amy Carmichael

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment