Tuesday, December 8, 2015

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year?

"It's the most wonderful time of the year! With the kids jingle belling and everyone telling you... be of good cheer! It's the most wonderful time of the year. It's the hap-happiest season of all....With those holiday greetings and gay happy meetings when friends come to call... It's the hap-happiest season of all." (written in 1963 by Edward Pola and George Wyle, sung by Andy Williams)
 
With all the parties for hosting and marshmallows for toasting and caroling out in the snow, you would think it's the happiest time of the year ALWAYS. Right? Wrong. As we turn the corner into the holiday season, our country has already experienced two horrific mass shootings, one in Colorado Springs and one in San Bernardino. We recently watched in utter disbelief the news from the Paris' attack. Here at home, we know people around us (or ourselves) that have faced much grief, sadness and/or disappointment this last year. Many are facing a holiday without a significant loved one. Some have a wayward child. Some an ailing parent. Others continue to stuff hidden pain deeper and deeper into their heart. Finally, some are just plain lonely. Sometimes, the kids jingle belling and caroling out in the snow isn't enough to shake off the sadness of what was, what isn't and what will never be again.
 
If you are one that is feeling such a burden this Christmas, I am so, so sorry. I believe God is sorry and longs to hold you and care for you and shower you with His never-failing love.  I pray that you will allow God to be your greatest comforter, friend and hope this Christmas. God bless you and keep you.
 
If you are one that is looking forward to this season and all of its wonder, I encourage you to excel in loving well. 1 Corinthians 13 kind of love. When I read this chunk of verses about love, I'm blown away by how love deficient I can be at times! But, I know that God IS love and gives me supernatural ability to love as I trust in Him. I learn to get outside my own hurts and little pains and reach out to others. The homeless. The Alzheimer resident. The sales associate at Macys. The waitress at Lupe Tortilla. The person in the line at Target. As I get rid of my me-first attitude and love others with God's love... things change. 
 
So, why not rearrange your normal thinking this Christmas? Instead of buying presents, be present to others. Instead of shopping for food, donate food. Instead of putting up lights, be a light. Instead of worrying about someone, reach out and ask how you might help support them. Be love this Christmas.
 
As the song goes.... "It's the most wonderful time of the year. There'll be much mistletoeing and hearts will be glowing when loved ones are near." This Christmas, your love can make a HUGE difference in someone's life. It really can. BE one of those loved ones that are near. Near enough to care. Near enough to listen. Near enough to give. Near enough to love. Don't be a stranger to others' sufferings. Enter in. This December, I challenge you to MAKE it a most wonderful time of the year. For someone else. Merry Christmas!
 
"You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book." Psalm 58:6
 
"He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us." 2 Corinthians 1:4
 
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment