Monday, December 28, 2015

Disturbance of Peace

It was 5:20 a.m. in the morning, just days before Christmas. Ben had already left for his morning Starbucks ritual. After tying my running shoes, I headed out the door to the YMCA. As I opened the door, there before me was a tall man staring at me in the dark, just inches away. He was motionless. I let out a bloodcurdling scream as he tried to push on the door, but somehow I managed to shut and lock it. After fumbling with my phone, I called 911, along with our local neighborhood police unit. The man continued to pound and yell “Let me in…let me in...” and eventually broke through the door window before the policed arrived. For fun, let’s hashtag this experience: #frightenedoutofmymind  #someonepleasecomequick!
 
We are grateful the man was apprehended and that all is well in our home. A bit shaken up, we realize how quickly things can change in life. Ben and I were just wrapping up our annual tradition of reading out loud to one another “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.” From hosting a large Christmas party to visiting family in Ohio to enjoying a home Spurs game, we were in full Christmas mode. Life was good. In a blink of an eye, things changed.
 
Isaiah 9:6 states “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end.” Over the last week, I’ve been meditating on that verse. Wonderful Counselor. Mighty God. Prince of PEACE.
 
Prince of PEACE. PEACE when a family member gets a cancer diagnosis. PEACE when a job is lost. PEACE when there is turmoil in a relationship. PEACE when finances are dwindling. PEACE when kids are making poor choices. PEACE in the midst of tumultuous weather. PEACE when we are judged by others. PEACE when circumstances aren’t going our way. PEACE when our own home is broken into. Do you know this kind of peace? A relationship with God gives us peace with God. This peace can carry us through the worst of circumstances (Romans 5:1)
 
God’s peace is different than the world’s peace, which is subject to circumstances. When circumstances are good, peace is present. When circumstances go south, peace departs. Having “peace” doesn’t mean “easy.” God promised that He would carry us through the difficult times. In fact, in the Bible, we are to expect tribulation (John 16:33) and trials. (James 1:2) But, as we give God our worries and anxieties, the peace of God will literally guard and protect our hearts and mind. (Philippians 4:6-7) 
 
Some of you reading this may think this kind of peace is non-existent or ridiculous. Talking about God gives you anything but peace; it makes you very uncomfortable. Because you haven’t experienced this kind of peace for yourself, you may not believe it’s possible. I ask you to consider God and the peace He has to offer.
 
What has disrupted your peace today? What trials or troubles have left your tummy in knots? I know. I get it. Living in peace each day is not easy. This week, I have continued to struggle with some anxiety in my home. The world around me can bring disruption to everything near and dear to my life. But nothing can separate me from Jesus and His peace. Nothing.
 
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment