Monday, December 21, 2015

Mary, Did You Know?

I can’t get enough of the beautiful Christmas music this time of year. One of my favorite Christmas songs is “Mary, Did You Know?” written by Mark Lowry, seen now as a modern Christmas classic. The song begins questioning Mary…”Mary did you know that your baby boy will someday walk on water? Mary, did you know that your baby boy will save our sons and daughters? Did you know that your baby boy has come to make you new? This child that you’ve delivered, will soon deliver you.”
 
The other day, as I was listening to this song, sung by Amy Grant, I was struck by the questions asked in this song. Mary, did you know? As a thirteen year old teenager, Mary didn’t know that her baby boy would give sight to a blind man or calm a storm with his hands. Mary didn’t know that her baby boy would be Lord of all creation or one day rule the nations. Mary just didn’t know at the time.
 
I can only imagine that finding out such news as a thirteen year old girl in that era could have been quite a shock. I can only imagine Mary might have felt shame, worry and stress over such an announcement. As I pictured myself in Mary’s shoes, this announcement might have freaked me out. In Luke 1:28, the angel said...“Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.” Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be.” The angel knew what Mary must have been thinking because he responded…”Do not be afraid. Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his Father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end.”  I'm sorry, but that's just craziness to have an angel show up at your door step! Imagine hearing from a real live angel that you would give birth to a son whose kingdom will never end! Mary responded just like you and I might!  She asked a question..... “How will this be since I am a virgin?” The angel said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you and the power of the Most High will overshadow. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God… For nothing is impossible with God.” (Luke 1:35, 37) You gotta be kidding me! I’m a pretty gullible person, but if the angel gave me that line, I might have started laughing in disbelief! Yet Mary responds “I am the Lord’s servant. May it be to me as you have said.” Just like that and the angel is gone
 
The Christmas story began with a virgin girl willing to say “yes” to God. Mary didn’t know a lot but what she did know, she believed and trusted God.  Today, we have access to the entire Bible that tells us the rest of the story. The story that Mary didn’t fully know, you can know in full. Knowing this story can change your life. Saying yes to this story can change your life. It did for Mary. It can for you.
 
"Who can add to Christmas? The perfect motive is that God so loved the world. The perfect gift is that He gave His only Son. The only requirement is to believe in Him. The reward of faith is that you shall have everlasting life. ~Corrie Ten Boom

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment