Tuesday, October 27, 2015

What To Do When I Don't Know What to Do

 
When I'm thirsty, I usually drink water. When I'm tired, I usually sleep. When I'm hungry, I usually eat. Usually. Generally. You get my point. It's easy to have an answer for each one of these basic human needs. But, when I don't know what to do, what do I do?
 
What do you do when you don't know what to do? Figure it out? Google an answer? Ask for help? These are actually all great answers. But, what if we still don't know what to do? You see, some problems are greater than what we can figure out. Some scenarios in our lives don't have a google answer. Even if we can ask for help from great and wise people, sometimes even great and wise people don't know what's best for you. We sometimes forget about going to God.

God is full of wisdom. His understanding is limitless. His ways are far beyond our ways. He knows all and sees all things. He knows right from wrong. He knows good from great. He knows our weaknesses and loves us just the same. He knows when we choose unwisely. Throughout Scripture, He invites us to come to Him and be in relationship with Him. He wants us to ask for wisdom.  And yet we go on. Ignoring the God that created us. Thinking we have a better plan. By our actions, we seem to know more than God. That's called pride.

Personally, I've found great value through seeking help, counsel and wisdom from others. I need other people and what they bring to the table.  I've never been shy to ask others for input. But, I can't imagine depending fully upon others' wisdom! I need God's wisdom for my life. For my marriage. My work. My decisions. My relationships. My meetings. My trials. How does that work for me? I begin my day reading the Bible. I pray about the day before me, asking God for wisdom for the specific things I need wisdom on.  I am always blown away by how much better things go when I start my day with Jesus at the wheel.
 
How do you gain wisdom? Start with humbling yourself and realize your lack of wisdom. Get rid of your pride. We all have a huge dose of the stuff. Realize that you do not know what you need to know in order to live an abundant life. You just don't. You won't know how to handle difficult situations that will eventually come your way.  You just don't. Sorry. But, God does!  Thank you, God!  That's the good news. Read God's Word. Since wisdom is found in the Word of God, are you taking time to study and meditate on God's word AND do what it says? Finally, pray. Solomon was not a wise man at birth, but he prayed for wisdom. (1 Kings 3:11) Daniel admitted he lacked wisdom. (Daniel 3:20) James in the Bible says that if anyone lacks wisdom, he should ask of God. (James 1:5) Wisdom is not from birth; wisdom is from God.
 
Proverbs 3:13 says "Happy is the man who finds wisdom and the man who gets understanding."  Happy. Who doesn't want to be happy? I'm game for asking God. How about you?
 
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment