Monday, April 6, 2015

YESTERDAY!

Company has gone home. Picked over jelly beans are still in the Easter basket. Zoe, the puppy, is scouring the yard for remaining eggs. China needs to be put away. Final Four became the Final Two. Spurs won a huge Easter game.  Now, just HOW was this weekend considered restful? Well, maybe not. Probably more exhausting than restful. The routine of the week has begun once again. Busy work days ahead. A to-do list a mile long. Preparing meals. Taking out trash. Yard work. Meetings galore. Errands and more errands. Yep, a new week has begun.

But, what about YESTERDAY? In less than 24 hours, I can somehow forget the glory of one day, Easter. It was just YESTERDAY I celebrated the resurrection of the Lord from the grave. It was just YESTERDAY that I sang the tremendous hymns and choruses of the faith. It was just YESTERDAY that I heard the story of the resurrection. Jesus came to this earth. Jesus was crucified and buried. Jesus rose from the dead. Jesus ascended to heaven. Just YESTERDAY, I was stunned with awe, worship and gratitude for the greatness of God's sacrifice and love for us. Just YESTERDAY, I imagined what it would have been like to be at the tomb and see Jesus alive! Just YESTERDAY, I was driven to tears for God's love for me. To fathom that He would send His Son to the earth and allow Him to die on a cross. For my sins and yours. Wow. Sometimes, I forget.  Really forget.
 
I march right into a new work week and get so caught up in the stuff of the day.  I forget.  I forget what happened YESTERDAY.  When asked about my Easter, I can sum it up with in a few measly words- "It was good..." That's it.  It was good. And on to another week.

I can't imagine what the disciples did on Monday after Easter. Their lives would NEVER be the same after what they experienced. Would they have a new dose of courage? Might they be more determined to be faithful? Would they be more energized to minister to others? Would they want to tell others what they heard and saw?  YES!

Don't make this another Monday. Start this day determined to allow this past Easter to give you a renewed hope, a vigorous faith and a determination to live victoriously. How could we ever get caught in a rut again? Jesus came to give us new hope. A new life. A new way to live. We don't have to keep making the same ole' mistakes and living the same ole' way. Today is the day after Easter and NOTHING should be the same again!

"God is Able. He will never fail. He is almighty God.  Greater than all we seek. Greater than all we ask. He has done great things. Lifted up, He defeated the grave. Raised to life, our God is able. In His name, we overcome. For the Lord, our God is able..." (Hillsong United, God is Able)

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment