Monday, April 6, 2015

New Beginnings

I can't get enough of Spring. The weather is so delightful. The budding trees are gorgeous. The green grass is ready for another mow. The Bluebonnets are more spectacular by the day. Yes, Spring is a brilliant time of year. I even like signs of spring inside the house!  Easter decorations. Spring cleaning. A trip to Goodwill to get rid of the old stuff.  All signs in the Abbott household that Spring is finally here.

New beginnings. That's what I love! Spring reminds me of new beginnings in so many ways.  New green grass. New buds on the trees. New bluebonnets. New life. A new start.

How many of you wish you had an "undo" button for life? That with one keystroke you could revise, change and correct every mistake you ever made? Every harsh word you ever spoke. Every error you made in a relationship. Every behavior you would now do differently.  Life has a way of biting us on the heel. Divorce. Sickness. Issues at home. Issues at work. Losses. And we have a hard time shaking off what went wrong. Life can be very unforgiving like that.

Until Jesus. Yes, Jesus is the one who can give us a total new start. A new beginning. Jesus came to this earth to live well and die well.  His life on this earth was like no one.  He lived radically, perfectly and in surrender to His Father in heaven. He then willingly went to the cross to die on our behalf and then rose victoriously from the grave. He gave us a new way to do life. Instead of having to fumble our way through life, riddled with mistakes, he made a way for us to have a brand new start. We have the option. Do we want a new way to do life?

On Easter, Jesus beat death. No one else has ever done that. No one but Jesus. We celebrate Easter because He made a way where we don't have to fix our lives on our own. We no longer have to keep trying to be good.  We're just not good enough. Jesus was the way to God. Through Him we can have everlasting life. No more hitting the undo button. Jesus gives us a brand new start.

This Easter, look deeper. Enjoy your Easter egg hunt. Have a jelly bean or two or three. Savor the Honey Baked Ham at the dinner table. Love your guests well. But, look deeper. Seek out the Savior of the World who came to this earth to live and die and live again. For you. For me. It's that simple. It's that profound.

"There's a peace I've come to know. Though my heart and flesh may fail. There's an anchor for my soul.  I can say "It is well."  Jesus has overcome. And the grave is overwhelmed. The victory is won. He is risen from the dead. And I will rise when He calls my name. No more sorrow, no more pain. I will rise on eagles' wings. Before my God fall on my knees. And rise. I will rise." Chris Tomlin, I Will Rise.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment