Monday, April 13, 2015

A Fluffy White Dog

It was just a 10 minute errand. I was only grabbing a to-go dinner. It seemed so simple. I was driving back on Huebner Road, near 1604, and all at once this cute fluffy white dog came running out of nowhere. I slammed on the brakes, knowing no one was right behind me. I missed it, only to realize it went under my car. I got out, recognizing that other cars were slowing down and stopping behind me. The fluffy white dog, terrified, wouldn't budge, but soon ran under the car next to me. The driver and I tried to lure the fully white dog out, to no avail. It finally headed down the middle of the two lanes of stopped cars playing "catch me if you can." Most drivers were patient. Other probable non-dog lovers began honking horns in frustration. We front cars in the pack finally agreed to move, realizing that others were now dealing with the fluffy white dog.  So much for a 10 minute errand. I only hope the fluffy white dog is home and happy.

Roadblocks. Things that get in the way. Life's obstacles that delay your forward motion...days that don't go as planned.  A work catastrophe. A relationship disaster. Finances not coming through. Fluffy white dogs on the road. Roadblocks that happen in real life can feel like a mountain. We may act on the surface that everything is good, but deep down we worry. We fret. We wonder. How will I get through this?

I don't always see my roadblocks coming. Just like the fluffy white dog, they can come out of nowhere. They can wreak havoc on an otherwise normal day or week. Sometimes, those roadblocks feel like a dead end. No way out. In those times, we must remember that what we feel is NOT always true. In those times, we must remember that God uses our roadblocks to teach us valuable lessons and develop our character. We have a choice. Will we let Him?

Consider this verse today.  "More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." (Romans 5:3-5) OK, so I can rejoice in my roadblocks, because they can produce endurance and endurance gives me character, and character builds my hope? Wow...what would keep me from wanting that?  So, the key is seeing God's perspective in my roadblocks!

What is your roadblock today? What halts you from moving forward? Do you just see your perspective? Have you inquired of God? God is ready to help you figure things out. You need not fear. Seize the opportunity to grow from your roadblock. Remember, they can come at you out of nowhere.  Just like the fluffy white dog.

He said to them, "Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment