Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Musings from the Nursing Home

It seems we live in a time when we can be so critical of others.  We judge people who are different than us.  We are quick to jump on those in the public eye, whether they rant about something or tell a lie. Others find it enjoyable to expose others' failures. It seems that those who are most insecure about themselves are the first to judge and attack others. In our workplaces, we are just as guilty. When was the last time you spoke poorly about someone? How do you treat people you don't like? Do you judge them in your own mind or openly before others?

A few weeks ago, I had the occasion to spend the week with my mom as she was fading from this earth. My dad and I would visit the nursing home multiple times each day. My world became the nursing home world. This world was not foreign to me. Back in high school and college, I worked in the summers as a nurse's aide here. I knew it was not an easy job. Yet, the staff served my mom with such compassion, tenderness and love. Many families and residents are quick to criticize when things aren't done just right. Not enough salt on food. Too much salt on food. Bad food. A piece of clothing stolen. Nurses not responding to call buttons. You get it.....just some of the stuff that goes on in the nursing home world. Criticism is pretty easy to find not just here, but in any work place. Some of it is legit. Some of it isn't.

In these special last days of my mom's life, God gave me eyes to see people from His perspective.  I think a ton of people were praying for me, because this doesn't always come natural to me.  I saw the nurses with eyes of gratitude. I saw the laundry attendants and appreciated them. I saw my mom, as her body swelled up, with care and compassion. I saw those in wheelchairs that couldn't move, talk, or understand, with dignity. One day, I saw a younger couple running down the hall, the woman noticeably sobbing. I found out later  that her father had just died. EVERBODY in that nursing home needed compassion and grace.  EVERYBODY. And you know what? You and I do too.

I won't ever forget the last week of my mom's life.  Neither do I want to forget the experience and how God gave me eyes to see the wide range of people around me.  Young. Old. Sick. Well. Grieving. People who need love, care, compassion and encouragement. People who don't need judgment or criticism.  As you start this day, you too can make a choice.  God gives us the ability to be different. You only need ask. Stop judging. Stop criticizing those who don't do things the way you do. Get the plank out of your own eye and love people with God's love.  Dear Father in heaven, I pray that I would not focus on the outward appearance of people and things, but on You. Help me to see you more clearly in my everyday life. Help me to see people from your perspective, not mine. May I see people with the eyes of grace. Help me to see their beauty and dignity, no matter how different they are than me. Show me when I'm quick to notice their brokenness and weaknesses. Thank you, Father, for your compassion and love. May I extend it to my spouse, my children, my friends and even total strangers this day. In Jesus' name, Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment