Monday, August 25, 2014

The Tears of a Clown

Now, if there's a smile on my face. It's only there trying to fool the public.  but when it comes down to fooling you.  Now, honey, that's quite a different subject.  But don't let my glad expression. Give you the wrong impression. Really, I'm sad, oh sadder than sad. You're gone and I'm hurting so bad. Like a clown I pretend to be glad. Now, there's some sad things known to man. But ain't too much sadder than the tears of a clown when there's no one around. O  yeah baby, now if I appear to be carefree, it's only to camouflage my sadness. In order to shield my pride I try to cover this hurt with a show of gladness........ Smokey Robinson, The Tears of a Clown

Whether it's social media, TV or just people talking at work, we've all been shocked by the death of beloved Robin Williams.  We loved him.  He made us laugh.  So full of life. So full of wit.  He was a part of our home, entertaining us for years. It's hard to believe he's gone. We are grateful for what he brought to our world and very sad that he's left this world way too soon. We read the tributes and feel a sense of personal grief for a man we didn't know.

When I was growing up, I had no idea what the song "Tears of a Clown" was all about.  I just thought it was a fun song.  But, not really.  It's about deep sadness.  The need to fool the public.  Camouflage sadness. Shield pride.  Cover the hurts.  I wonder if Robin Williams could identify with this song.  Maybe you and I can too.

How does Robin William's death affect you?  How can his life and death inspire you to be a better you?  First, I think it's a call to extend compassion to those in our midst.  We miss people day in and day out who are hiding their sadness. We can be so consumed with our work, our phones, our lives...that we miss someone next to us that needs a huge dose of encouragement.  I remember during some of the darker times of my life, I just longed for someone to ask...How are you really doing?  So, often, we fail to ask. We don't have time for the answer. People need compassion everywhere. A smile. An encouragement. A prayer. 

Secondly, take a hard look at yourself.  Sadly, we are often so busy that we allow our own personal needs to go by the wayside.  We can crash out of sheer exhaustion.  When we continue to lay our own personal and emotional health aside, we suffer.  There is hard stuff in this world! If you are hurting, seek help.  A counselor.  A support group.  A friend to help you bear your burden.  Don't hide. Don't think it'll just go away all by itself. Deal with it.

Finally, press in to God. If we live long enough, we will all have our moments where we question life.  Circumstances that go south.  Tragedy. Pain beyond what we can bear.  Some blame God on these things.  That only makes things worse.  There is peace found when we press into God, not turn away from Him.  He can help us through the most difficult of times...if only we let Him.

"Compassion asks us to go where it hurts, to enter into places of pain, to share in brokenness, fear, confusion, and anguish.  Compassion challenges us to cry out with those in misery, to mourn with those who are lonely to weep with those in tears.  Compassion requires us to be weak with the weak, vulnerable with the vulnerable, and powerless with the powerless.  Compassion means full immersion in the condition of being human." Henri Nouwen- Compassion: A Reflection on the Christian Life

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment