Monday, August 25, 2014

The Power of A Blessing

People are paying more and more attention to our words than ever before.  People pay attention to what we say AND what we don't say.  Words have power.  The more negative, the more hurtful.  This morning, on the way to the barn, I was waiting in a long line at a light.  I heard and saw someone next to me who had obviously cut around the line of cars to edge in. Yelling and waving her hand angrily, she was demanding I let her in.  A little much for seven in the morning.  I was too far along to let her in, but she was NOT happy with me.  What a way to start the day.

The lack of words have power too!  I've seen how this is true with the phenomenon of facebook.  Facebook gives us an easy quick way of blessing someone.  Even one sentence.  Facebook can also be used as a way to withhold blessing someone.  OK, how often have you withheld a "like" because you really have a judgment against that person?  Instead of blessing, we can use it as a tool to withhold a blessing.  Say it aint' so.  We do the same thing in day to day life with each other.

Mother Teresa once said "Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless." How true! Your words, whether they are helpful and encouraging or hurtful and judgmental can reverberate through people's lives for a long time.  It takes so little time to bless people these days.  You can send a facebook note, text, email or phone call. Do you realize how our small gesture can make a huge difference in someone's day?

Every day, people can receive criticism, discouraging words and negative feedback.  Every day, we ourselves can dole out a ton of personal criticism even on ourselves.  We can live in our own shame and guilt.  We can become so engaged in our own stuff, we forget about those around us.  When was the last time you told someone "You are important to me! You are loved by God.  I'm so grateful for you and your impact on my life."

This week, as kids go back to school and fall returns, wouldn't it be a great time to start your week with blessing others?  If you have kids, start with your kids.  Your family.  Your friends. Facebook. Work associates. The barista. The waiter.  And the list goes on.  Be a blessing. Give a blessing.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment