Monday, August 11, 2014

Hello, My Name Is Regret...

Regrets.  Lots of people tell us to 'live your life with no regrets.'  Somehow, in our culture today, it's not cool to have regrets.  People prefer to treat these mistakes in life or unpleasant things that have happened to them as part of 'what made them who they are today.' Since when did having regrets become a negative thing?

I looked up on line a definition of the word 'regret'.....to feel sad or sorry about something that you did or did not do.  To have regrets about something.  Somehow, the definition doesn't fit how people treat regrets today.

Regret hit me square in the face today.  I was looking for a document on the computer and came upon a letter that I had written years ago.  It really tore me up to read it.  It occurred to me that if I had written that same letter today, it would have been so different because I'm different. Yes, I regretted writing it.

If we can't acknowledge our regret, how can we truly feel sorry for our sins?  It's not easy to go to God and say "I blew it."  It's not easy to go to your wife, husband or friend and say "I made a mistake; please forgive me." It's humbling.  We avoid these kind of interactions like the plague. In our avoidance, we miss out on the beauty of forgiveness and God's healing power.

Matthew West wrote a song that starts off just how I felt when I opened that old letter.... "Hello, my name is regret.  I'm pretty sure we have met.  Every single day of your life, I'm the whisper inside that won't let you forget.  Hello, my name is defeat.  I know you recognize me. Just when you think you can win, I'll drag you right back down again, until you've lost all belief.  Oh, these are the voices. Oh, these are the lies.  And I have believed them for the very last time"

Here is the way I'm learning to deal with my regrets.  Matthew West's song goes on.... "Hello, my name is child of the one true King.  I've been saved, I've been changed, I have been set free. "Amazing Grace" is the song I sing.  Hello, my name is child of the one true king.  I am no longer defined by all the wreckage behind.  The one who makes all things new, has proven it's true.  Just take a look at my life."  So, do you have regrets today? Join the human race.  But, realize that God can make all things new.  It's true.  Grace is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment