Monday, June 10, 2024

Putting on a Good Face

When I talk to people, really talk to people, I realize that life isn’t always as rosy as it seems. We can all put on a good face, can’t we? We’ve learned in life the importance of being positive and optimistic, even if the reality may be less than ideal. Have you ever thought how many times in your life you’ve uttered the words “I’m fine” when you’re not? Too many to count.

I can imagine that most of us don’t feel comfortable blurting out exactly how we feel to every person who asks, “How are you?”. We just don’t do that. But it sure is important to have a few trusted friends we can share our struggles! I think it’s very important also to share our hearts with God. With God, we never have to put on a good face.

There have been a few things in my heart lately that have deeply troubled me. I can hide them from people, but I can’t hide them from God. God sees me and cares for me. He encourages me to cast my burdens (every one of them) on Him because He cares for me. (1 Peter 5:7) God truly wants to carry my burdens. Will I give my burdens to Him or end up trying to carry them myself?

It must grieve God when He sees plastic versions of ourselves where we stuff our emotions, pretending everything is OK. God knows fake. God knows real. He is alive, active, and personal. There is nothing that is hidden from Him. Hebrews 4:13 says “Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give an account.”  

We may fool others and even fool ourselves, but we cannot fool God. He knows what’s best for us and knows the truth about our thoughts and attitudes. I think God wants us to come to Him with all our doubts, our questions, and our struggles. God seeks a relationship with us!

When I allow myself to be 100% real with God I pour out my heart to Him freely. I can’t fake it. Subsequently, when I’m real with God and secure in Him, I can be myself and free with others. 

What questions do you have for God? What keeps you up at night? Tell God your stuff. 

How long, God? (Psalm 6:3, 2 Corinthians 4:16)
Why, God? (Psalm 42:11, 2 Corinthians 12:10)
Have you forgotten me? (Isaiah 49:14-24, Isaiah 41:10)
Why am I afraid? (1 John 4:16, Psalm 27:1, Deuteronomy 31:8)
How could you allow this, God? (Proverbs 3:5-6, Isaiah 55:8)
What do I do, God? (James 1:5, Proverbs 2:3-8)
Why is there so much suffering? (Romans 8:18)


“Look deep into my heart, God, and find out everything I am thinking. Don’t let me follow evil ways but lead me in the way that time as proven true.” Psalm 139:23-24 (CEV)
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment