Monday, October 16, 2023

Not Oblivious

My dog, Chara and I are sitting on the back porch, enjoying a Texas fall-ish day. She’s poised and ready to make a dash outside and lunge at the fence at the dog next door. Just the other cool day, my horse, Daisy, was running and bucking and frolicking around in her fenced area as if to say, “This is just the BEST day ever!”

Animals are oblivious to what took place this last week in Israel. In some ways, it would be nice to be oblivious to the horrific suffering, pain, and agony that we’ve seen displayed on social media and TV. But we’re not oblivious. We see and understand what’s going on and it leaves us sobered, saddened, and helpless.

We see the faces of war. So many stories. So many pictures.

A teenager named Matan battled Hamas with fellow soldiers when terrorists threw a grenade into their armored vehicle. Matan jumped on the grenade and saved the lives of all his friends but lost his. His last words “I tried to do everything to save the people of Israel.” Matan is a hero.

The Kutz family of five. On Saturday, they planned to fly kites in a kite festival their father Aviv organizes every year near the Gaza fence as a message of peace to their neighbors. Their charred bodies were found in the safe room of their burned-down home in Kibbutz Kfar Aza, with Aviv’s body wrapped over his family.

A video of Shani Louk, a 30-year-old German national, dancing and enjoying the Israeli techno music festival. Moments later, she was a victim of abduction during the shocking attack by Hamas militants.

I like you am heartbroken for all of the innocent lives lost in Israel and Gaza this past week. I don’t know what to do as I watch it all unfold. At the oddest times, a tear will fall on my face out of sheer sadness. But, what I do know to do, is to pray. Sometimes, all that comes out is: “Help, Lord.”  I’m glad He hears our cries. When we have no words, the Spirit takes our groans before His throne and prays what we ought. (Romans 8:26) For that, I am grateful. Other times, I just cry out “Lord, have mercy.”  

One of the most powerful things we can do is to pray. Our prayers don’t just go up to this unknown lofty cloud in the sky but make it to the throne room of God. God hears our prayers; however simple they are! He longs for us to cry out to Him from our hearts! It is powerful to pray to God who sees the things we can’t see. Even when we wonder "Where is God in all this?" please be assured that God will judge unrighteousness and evil and injustice one day. God hears the prayers of his people.

If you have no words like I do, perhaps try praying the words of Psalm 121 over all the innocent people on both sides as well as those who are living in fear or overwhelmed with grief:

"I lift up my eyes to the mountains where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip- he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will never slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you- the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm-he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going.” Psalm 121
Take a listen: "It is Well With My Soul (Audrey Assad) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY5o9mP22V0

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment