Monday, April 11, 2022

Considering Jesus and Palm Sunday

I have fond memories of Palm Sunday growing up. There was a lot of pomp and circumstance at my church and I was all in! I had a thing for music, especially piano, and loved when the pianist and organist took it to the next level. The more pounding the better. The pianist and organist together would play “The Palms” song and we would sing. I couldn’t get enough of it.


Of course, the props on Palm Sunday were awesome too! As choir kids, we all received a palm branch and got to parade down to the front of the church. That was cool. My biggest remembrance from the scripture was that Jesus got a ride on a donkey. A donkey of all creatures! I was a horse gal so I was particularly interested in his four-legged mount.  

You may remember that Jesus entered Jerusalem a few days before his death. He rode in on the donkey, while the multitude was shouting his praises, spreading their garments and palm branches out to give him honor. As Jesus entered Jerusalem on a donkey, he was not only affirming that He was Messiah but displaying his humility. It was known that a king riding a horse would be bent on war, whereas riding a donkey symbolized his arrival in service, peace, suffering, and humility. Jesus asked for a donkey because it would show that his kingship was not from man but from God.

As a child, I didn’t understand all the significance of Palm Sunday. Today, I have even more joy, wonder, and questions.

How was Jesus feeling as he rode the donkey into Jerusalem?  I have a feeling that despite knowing exactly what was to take place on the cross, Jesus rode through the streets with a spirit of peace, and a humble heart, not intimidated in the least. He was not fearful or scared but in synch with His Father. Even despite the city being in turmoil, Jesus was not. He knew His role and each day was one step closer to the cross.

Could it be that many didn’t understand who Jesus was? Just like in our day, I would presume that many in Jerusalem waving those branches didn’t understand who Jesus was or what He had come to do. Jesus entered Jerusalem as a peace-loving King. He also demonstrated his authority time and time again in the book of Matthew. He was the Messiah and would soon go to the cross, experience a gruesome death, and be resurrected, all so that we could experience eternal life. He offered the only acceptable sacrifice for sin- death. I now get it! Having a relationship with Jesus means everything to me!

I want to become more like Jesus and live for Him. How? I often think Christians get a bad name, and rightly so because we can be royal jerks at times. But Jesus was not a jerk. Mahatma Gandhi once said “I like their Christ, but I don’t like their Christians. The thing about you Christians is that you are so unlike your Christ.” Learn of Christ. Follow Christ. See His character, His humility, and learn to love as He loves. Practice forgiveness. Read God's word and strive to be like Him. Find other believers who are on the same journey. 

As you experience this Holy Week, would you consider Jesus in your life? I encourage you to read the following verses as you walk through this Holy Week:

Monday- Isaiah 42:1-4
Tuesday- Isaiah 11:1-5
Wednesday- Matthew 26:14-16
Thursday- John 13:12-16
Good Friday- Isaiah 53:1-5
Holy Saturday- Romans 6:3-11
Easter Sunday- John 20:1-9

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment