Monday, April 18, 2022

Buried Beneath Shame

Shame is such a horrible feeling. It’s hard to define shame, but we know it when we feel it. It’s a painful emotion that is often caused by awareness of guilt or failure that often leads us to feel worthlessness, unqualified, small, and never quite good enough.

I know that feeling of shame. I know it because I’m a sinner. A regular daily sinner. As much as I was probably seen as the “Goody Two Shoes” to many, deep down I knew I was just as guilty as anyone. Why? Because I sin. Every day.

Truth be told, we all like to appear as “Goody Two Shoes.” We all like to think we’re pretty good people. Well, of course, we “goof up” but we’re not as bad as so and so. And so we live, managing our sin and image well, looking good and hiding well.

What’s the answer to our shame? When I understand the message of Scripture, I see two things about shame. I see the reality of my own sin. Secondly, I see that my sin is far worse than I could ever imagine! All of us have more sins than we can imagine! Don't miss this: Yet, we are more loved than we can possibly conceive! My struggle for shame is solved in Jesus. Romans 5:8 says “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Jesus took the shame on Himself and endured the cross! 

Why do I love Easter? Because I know who I am and Whose I am. I see what Jesus did for me and what He can do for all of us. We never again have to be slaves to sin! We are fully known and loved by God. I can't get over that nor will I ever get over that!

Shame is such a horrible feeling. And honestly, at times, shame can creep back into my mind. It is in those moments; that I talk to Jesus and tell Him what’s on my mind. He reminds me that I no longer live in sin, but in Him. He is not just good news, Jesus is the BEST news ever!

Take a listen:
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment