Monday, January 24, 2022

Tired of Being Tired

I’m tired of COVID. I'm tired of talking about COVID. It seems to be a topic of conversation, no matter how much we want it to go away. I'm tired of being cooped up, tired of being scared, tired of being careful, and tired of masks, tests, and more masks and tests.

The fatigue of COVID is even more significant for health care professionals and those who have been affected by the loss of life due to COVID. It has affected so many people in so many ways! There is so much sadness and grief due to this horrific illness. 

What’s particularly tough with COVID is the prolonged stress that we ALL have felt. To top that off, there continues to be uncertainty about what’s next. Will there be another variant? How will we personally be affected by COVID? Given these two questions, how will we cope?

I’m tired of being tired! Maybe you are too.

I believe that God gives us instructions for our daily life and truly wants to meet our specific needs. He knew that humans would have times where we would be worn out, wiped out, and basically exhausted. Jesus seems to speak personally into what most of us might be feeling: 

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me- watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” Matthew 11:28-30, The Message

Did you notice that Jesus speaks specifically to “being tired?” He literally invites us to come and spend time with Him and He promises to help recover our life. He’ll show us how to rest and walk through life with his grace. Jesus desires to walk closely with us and help carry our burden.

Personally, Jesus has carried me closely and walked with me through many a burden over the years. I honestly don't know what I'd do without Him. I know He will continue to do so all the days of my life. He knows my weariness with COVID. He knows your weariness. In fact, Jesus knows all of what you and I are going through! He literally loves us like crazy and wants to link arms and carry our burdens. Receive this invitation from the One who knows and loves you most.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment