Monday, January 3, 2022

Engaging With God in 2022

I've heard some describe 2022 as 2020.3. It's easy to be a bit cynical after the last few years. Perhaps, it's a bit hard to look with expectations and hope into our 2022 lives considering the last few years. 

Here are a few thoughts about engaging in your relationship with God and finding hope in the coming year.
Spend time with God- That’s right, spend time with God. God is not just this being out in the universe that is legalistic, distant, and cold. God is very near and longs for a personal relationship with you. A. W. Tozer wrote, “What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.”  What comes to your mind when you think about God? Are those thoughts your opinion or an accurate assessment of God?

I encourage you to open your Bible (or Bible app) every day in the coming year. When I start my day reading Scripture, it changes me and changes my day! Read the book of John in the Bible if you’re just starting out. Read a Proverb a day. (There are 31 of them!) Get involved in a bible study. When I study God’s Word, I learn more about who God is and who I am. I realize He is God, and I am not. I clearly see his desire to be personally involved in my life. That gives me such confidence and hope as I venture into 2022! Prayer: Dear Lord, Please help me engage in a deeper and closer walk with you in the coming year. Show me what that looks like.

Grow in Prayer- Prayer can be quite intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be. Many grew up believing it was the pastor or priest that prayed, not the typical person in the pew. Yet prayer is all about relationship. Relationship with God. He longs to talk to you, and He longs for you to talk to Him. That’s prayer. We can talk to God about anything…and He listens.
I encourage you to take time each day for prayer as well as bible study. I use a large, lined journal and have a section where I write down those things that are on my heart that day. Writing it down just helps me. Then, I have a section where I list out prayers that I pray every day: Praying for family, those that are sick/hurting, those that are grieving, my church, and the military/government/country. PrayerDear Lord, Show me how I can grow in my prayer life this year. Help me to see not only the joy of prayer but the power in praying!

Be disciplined with social media- The more social media is a part of your life, the more power it has to affect you adversely. Do you compare yourself with so and so? Do you wonder if so and so will comment on your post? Do you ache for likes? Do you worry if you don't "like" someone's post? Do you struggle with FOMO if you’re NOT on social media? Maybe it's time for a break! I will take regular breaks from social media. This little discipline has helped me immensely keep my mind focused and keep my priority on God and those precious to me. Prayer: Dear Lord, Help us to sort through all the information that comes our way so we can determine what’s important and what’s not important. Guide us toward your good purpose for our lives.

Believe God for big things
- What do you want to see happen that only God can do? We often limit our expectations, because we can’t possibly believe that God can do what feels so impossible. Yet, God delights in us trusting Him in everything, even our wildest dreams, expectations, and hopes. What are those things in your life that only God can do? Pray: Dear Lord, Help me to trust You in all things, even what feels impossible. Help me never stop praying!
With each new year, lots of folks vow to become better versions of themselves. Honestly, even with the best of intentions, our flesh will fail us. We need God. I encourage you to engage with God in 2022. Be blessed!

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment