Monday, November 29, 2021

Holidays and Hope

It seems that holidays have a way of bringing to the surface the reality that our life is not as perfect as we’d like it to be. Did you know that more people get discouraged and depressed at the holidays than at any other time of the year?

When you think of the holiday season, what brings a sense of sadness to you? A loss of a significant friendship or relationship? A loss of a loved one? The effects of COVID on your life and work? Dealing with a health crisis?

We can look at social media and sometimes our lives can feel as if they come up on the short end of the stick. We compare ourselves with others and can feel that God has forgotten us! Those hidden hurts, pains, and losses can really affect our holiday joy. Here are a few thoughts to consider as you approach this season:

God is our hope, no matter how hard the holiday is. I remember a few years ago, we had to put our precious dog Zoe down the day after Christmas. That Christmas was just a very tough day as the clock ticked on. Oh, how we dreaded that next day. As we wept and cried, we struggled to pray. But, we prayed. We pleaded with God to help see us through. No, it wasn’t easy. It was devastating. We had to cling to the truth that we had a loving Savior whose plan is perfect, even though we didn’t understand.

God fills the gap, no matter what it is. As you glance at social media, life can look super perfect for some and not for others. We can quietly come up with the conclusion that so and so has a better life. More money. More family. Better job. Better home. Wow…. Do you realize how deadly this can be? As much as we long for life to be different, God gives us the capacity to be content in our current situation. Paul in Philippians 4:11-12 states “I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content… I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance, and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” God uses our challenging situations to teach us contentment. As we learn to trust God for the gap in our lives, we learn contentment, just like Paul did! God fills our gap with Himself!

God wants our hearts this Christmas, no matter what else tugs at them. 
Consider Mary, the mother of Jesus. A young teenager, engaged, but not married to a man named Joseph. Then one day, the angel Gabriel greeted her, told her that she was highly favored and that she would deliver the Christ-child. Mary gave up her dreams of marrying Joseph, her great reputation, and living a simple life for obeying God. Instead of questioning God, she responded “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” (Luke 1:38) I want that kind of faith. Faith that says “Yes, Lord, whatever You want for me, I will do.” Faith that keeps my mind focused on Jesus, studying His Word, and seeking Him in prayer. Why? Because I know He wants my heart this Christmas. Jesus wants all of me this Christmas and that’s what I want to give Him.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment