Monday, November 15, 2021

Do Worries Come True?

Perhaps you’ve been around long enough to realize that many of the things you worry about don’t come true.

A study done at Penn State University had participants write down their specific worries for ten days whenever they noticed they were worrying. (These participants had generalized anxiety disorder and problems with uncontrollable worry, sleep, concentration.) They were reminded four times a day to record any worries they had had in the past two hours to make sure their worries were being captured in the data. The study participants then reviewed their list of worries every evening over the next 30 days to see if their worries came true. What was the result? 91 percent of the worries were false alarms. The remaining 9 percent of worries that did come true, the outcome was better than expected. For one in four participants, exactly zero of their worries materialized. (Seth J. Gillihan, PhD, How Often Do Your Worries Actually Come True, 2019)

Paul in Philippians 4:6-7 gives a foundational plan for worry: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” It seems I can know this verse intellectually, and at the same time, miss exactly what God calls me to do. Don’t be anxious. Give thanks. Give my needs to God. God will give me amazing peace. God will guard my heart and mind. Sometimes, we can know the right things to do, but still, fail to practice them.

How can I, knowing God, live my life free from anxiety and worry? Because God can be trusted. If I allow myself to be dragged away into my worst and darkest imaginations of the future, I will most surely face these worst-case scenarios alone. Why? God is not present in what does not exist. He gives us our daily bread for TODAY. He gives us His abundant grace for TODAY. 

When I start my day reading Scripture and praying, it truly helps me partner with God throughout the day. I want to live my entire life in the presence of God, not worrying about the future, but asking Him to guide me in the present. When I ask Him, He does help!

Take a moment today and recall how God has met you in the past. Consider what He’s done and how His promises are true. Pray that God will help You live in the here and now. Give your requests to Him. And don’t forget to thank Him. Gratitude changes everything!

Do your worries come true? Why waste all this time on worry when most of our worries don’t really materialize?

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment