Monday, October 11, 2021

Mental Health Check-Up

There’s not one of us who hasn’t been affected somehow, someway by the pandemic. Fear, loneliness, frustration, grief, or anxiety are just a few of the wide range of emotions that we’ve experienced throughout the pandemic. We’re weary of bad news upon bad news and ready for life to return as “normal.” How do we tackle our own mental health?


October 10 was World Mental Health Day, an international day for global mental health education, awareness, and advocacy again social stigma. You could have easily bypassed this day without one thought about it!  Or you could take a serious look at your own life, realizing that ALL of us periodically need a mental health checkup. Here are a few great reality check questions that you could consider today and every day for you: (Questions from the article: How to Check-in On Your Mental Health:5 Questions to Ask Yourself Every Day)

1. How am I feeling today? One way I check-in is through a prayer journal, where I write down personal prayer needs I have about those things that stress me out or bring anxiety. Ask yourself questions like: What brings me anxiety? Am I stressed out? If so, why? Am I sad today? If so, why? I invite God into those questions. Why? Because He cares more about my mental health than I do! He created me and knows me intimately, so it’s good to get his advice too!

2. What’s been worrying me lately? It seems there are always enough things to be worried about, but can you pinpoint what seems to occupy your mind most? COVID has brought a lot of fears of “What if? and “What about?” We worry about family members or ourselves getting COVID. Sometimes, we need to consider what brings on the worry. Is it too much social media? Listening to the news? Lack of good sleep? Fear of getting sick? Identify those things that bring on stress. God loves when we bring these things, one by one, to Him in prayer. In fact, He knew that we would be people that get anxious. In Philippians 4:6-7 it says “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

3. Am I providing my body with its basic needs? Why is it so easy to take care of others’ needs before ourselves? We tend to do that, don’t we? But gotta remember the basics: eating right, exercising regularly, and getting enough rest. Sometimes not doing these things is a sign of a mental health concern like depression.

4. What am I doing to bring myself joy? Why do we struggle giving ourselves the gifts that we need to bring joy? Years ago, Tim Hansel wrote a book entitled “When I Relax I Feel Guilty.” That title! So many people feel this way! They can't relax or enjoy themselves and when they do, they feel guilty! Yet, it’s so important to incorporate joy into your life and do those things you love. Maybe a Sunday nap? A day off to fish? Watching a funny movie? Spending time with your animals? Making a new recipe? Organizing a family outing? Your joy matters. Do what you love!

5. Who do I have in my corner? Do you have people in your life that you can be free to share yourself? Confidentiality is key! Whether it’s a friend, family member, faith leader, or someone else, make sure you have someone who really listens to you, asks questions, cares, and prays with and for you. Support groups are also a great way to connect with other people who are going through similar struggles. Sometimes, in our mental health struggles, we can feel alone, but we are never alone. God provides us with good people and God provides Himself. God cares about the details of your life, every day, every moment. He can and will help you through! 

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment