Monday, September 20, 2021

No Big Deal!

It was a lazy, hot day on the Guadelupe River. We were taking our friends from Dallas out on the river with packed lunches, hammocks, fishing rods, and plenty of kayaks. What could go wrong?

It was ten minutes into our trip that I had to get out of the kayak and drag through some shallow rapids. I looked down at the rushing water, lost my balance, and fell on a rock. Although it hurt, it seemed like no big deal. I looked down, expecting a small scrape, and instead saw a hematoma the size of a softball on the front of my leg. We had a “time out” on the riverbanks while I iced and elevated my leg. Others enjoyed some fly fishing. After the injury break and my constant assurance I was ok, we continued our paddle trip.

I’ve been thinking a bit about this little incident. Maybe because my hematoma continues to remind me of its constant presence. It also reminded me of times in my life where I would prefer to hide my inner pain and act like everything was just fine. No big deal! God took me on quite a journey over the years and gently and tenderly brought healing.

I sense that we ALL have stuff that happens in our lives that we really prefer to hide and say “No big deal, it’s just a little scrape.” Yet, all the while, we need to look at the big hematoma and address the root of the problem. We can stuff our emotional pains for only so long.

Life is hard. How do you and I address those emotional pains that affect us? Too often we want to manage or control our destructive behaviors on our own. In addition, we may hide our true selves from others because we’re afraid of them getting to know the stuff beneath the surface. We can busy ourselves with activity, work, and important roles that tend to camouflage the pain...for a while. Freedom is found when we address our hidden hurts, give up the things in life that have brought us pain, and allow others to walk the journey with us.

When you can’t hide your pain any longer, maybe it’s time to be proactive about self-care.  Seek a counselor. Attend Celebrate Recovery.  Go to a support group that deals with your issue. Start your healing journey. Don’t forget that God is right there to help you! You only need to ask Him. God knows everything about us and loves and accepts us.

This past week, I’ve been praying out loud Psalm 139 for a young man going through a crisis. I often pray this Psalm and insert my own name. Such a reminder that God is right here ready to help!

Just fill in your name/pronoun in Psalm 139:1-7 to get you started: “Lord, you have searched ____ and know ____. You know when ____ sit down and when ______ stand up. You understand ____ thoughts from far away. You observe _____ travels and ____rest; You are aware of all ____ ways. Before a word is on ____ tongue; You know all about it, Lord. You have encircled ____.

You have placed Your hand on ____. This extraordinary knowledge is beyond ____. It is lofty; ____ is unable to reach it. Where can ____ go to escape Your Spirit? Where can ___ flee from Your presence?” 
(Praying through Psalm 139, Joanne Jung) Continue praying the Psalm on your own!
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment