Monday, May 20, 2019

Who Did Jesus Hang With?

Years ago, I had the privilege of traveling to Kazakhstan to participate in teaching at Kazakh University in Almaty, Kazakhstan. I didn’t know much about the country, but became fascinated with the culture and the people upon arrival. My task was to teach public speaking to a group of students at the University.
Our two cultures were quite diverse, but I found one commonality. We all had a fear of public speaking. The Kazak students were no different than Americans! As they broke through their nervousness with speaking extemporaneously, the students actually began to enjoy the experience!
Every day, we have opportunities to engage with people that are different than us. Whether they are different in ability, age, cultural background, ethnicity, faith, gender, gender identity, ideology, income, national origin, race or sexual orientation- we can learn to love and work side by side all people.
Sadly, this isn’t always the case with those of us called humans. We’re quick to judge, hold grudges, and even determine ahead of time what we think about someone. We who think we don’t do this…do.  
I’m on a journey to learn how I can better love, serve and care for those different from me. I wonder if you are too? Tell me, isn’t it easy to judge the person that you prefer to avoid or just don’t connect with? Is it possible that you're not even aware of your own tendencies in this area? So, let’s admit it. You and I could use a lesson in inclusivity.
My champion in this endeavor is Jesus Christ. I can only look through the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) and note who Jesus kept company with. Jesus hung out with a woman at the well, a prostitute, the outcasts and unclean, a paralytic, the blind, the tax collectors, the crippled, the disease-ridden, the good Samaritan, etc.  He even surrounded himself with a rag tag group of twelve sinners, he called “disciples.” Did He care about diversity? You bet He did. He modeled how to do it!
Loving like Christ didn’t come easy! There was a cost. He was even judged and looked down upon by the people He hung out with. In fact, He actually knew what it felt like to be an outcast. He was certainly treated that way by many. Yet people were drawn to Him by his love.
Ray Ortlund writes “As the crazy, angry intensity of our times bears down on us more and more fiercely, our Lord is, in fact, giving us a historic opportunity- to love one another, stand by one another, pay a price for one another. I feel expectant, privileged, solemnized, grateful.” Wow. Do you see the potential before us? Are you willing to lay down your judgy-spirit (which I sadly see way too much of in my tribe called fellow Christians) and be a part of the change? Let’s not squander this opportunity.
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio

No comments:

Post a Comment