Monday, May 13, 2019

Older and Wiser?

I turned a year older this past week. I love birthdays, no matter how old I am! I’ve been thinking and praying a lot lately about how I can have the most possible influence in this season of life.
Most people think that as you get older, you get wiser. You certainly have more real life experience the longer you live. However, I don’t think I realized how much I needed God’s wisdom when I was younger. I relied way too much on what I thought was best at the time.
I’ve been studying the character Solomon in the Bible this past year. In 1 Kings 4:29-30 it says “God gave Solomon wisdom and very great insight, and a breadth of understanding as measureless as the sand on the seashore. Solomon’s wisdom was greater than the wisdom of all the people of the East, and greater than all the wisdom of Egypt. He was wiser than anyone else….”
You know what I marvel at? That God gave Solomon a breadth of understanding as measureless as the sand on the seashore. Have you ever considered the sand on the seashore? It’s endless! In the great years of Solomon’s kingdom, he used the enormous wisdom that God gave him. But, sadly, he didn’t always use God’s wisdom and fell away from God.
What do you need God’s wisdom for today?
  • Wisdom about a project at work?
  • Wisdom for a relationship decision?
  • Wisdom for a decision?
  • Wisdom for your finances?
  • Wisdom about medical treatment?
  • Wisdom about your future?
I never realized in life what I didn’t know at the time. But, often I didn’t know and understand things because I didn’t ask for God’s wisdom. Think how your life could change if you truly believe God could give you wisdom and very great insight as measureless as the sand on the seashore? Wouldn’t He know more about you than you?
What if you really stopped leaning on your own understanding and trusting the Lord? How would your life change?  “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment