Monday, February 25, 2019

You Say

Sometimes, we just don’t know who to believe in this world. There are voices all around us, some with very positive messages and others with very hurtful messages. We can’t forget those voices that swirl around in our minds. How do we decipher what is really true about ourselves? Consider the words of this song, You Say, by Lauren Daigle:
I keep fighting voices in my mind that say I’m not enough
Every single lie that tells me I will never measure up
Am I more than just the sum of every high and every low?
Remind me once again just who I am, because I need to know.
You say I am loved when I can’t feel a thing.
You say I am strong when I think I am weak
You say I am held when I am falling short
When I don’t belong, oh You say that I am Yours
And I believe, Oh I believe
What you say of me….
(Songwriters: Paul Mabury, Lauren Ashley Daigle, Jason Ingram)
So, what’s it feel like to not feel the love?  What does it feel like to not measure up with others? How do you handle those moments when you feel so weak and insecure? Or how about those days at work when you know you’re falling short? It sure stinks to sometimes feel like you don’t fit in or belong, doesn’t it?
Perhaps the success of this song is that we have ALL felt these feelings and insecurities at one time or another. What we do with them matters.
I make it a habit of starting my day reading the Bible and praying. Why? Because I am fairly sure this song is about me. I’m so desperate for God to remind me of what He says about me. I’m desperate to walk in His confidence. And I totally need that confident reassurance that I belong to Him. Time with God meditating on Scripture helps jumpstart my day and give right thinking.
Listen to the rest of the words of this song:
The only thing that matters now is everything You think of me
In you I find my worth, in You I find my identity, (ooh oh)
Taking all I have and now I’m laying it at Your feet
You have every failure, God, and You’ll have every victory. (ooh oh)
Do you find your worth and your identity in God alone? Can you take all you have and lay it at God’s feet? What would happen if you did?
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment