Monday, February 11, 2019

Letting Stuff Go

It seems that we can easily be offended by others these days. There’s not one of us who hasn’t felt that twinge of pain come over us at some time or other. As much as we try, try, try to NOT be offended, we sometimes can’t let stuff go.
Being offended can make us feel mad, resentful, annoyed and/or irritated by the treatment of the offender. These feelings can roll around in our mind and keep us performing mental gymnastics that lead to a fierce mental headache, not to mention anger.
I remember being single and the “interesting” comments I would get from people in my church. “Why aren’t you married? What’s your problem? Can we set you up with so and so? I can’t believe you haven’t found someone yet!!!! “  I remember these comments being so hard to deal with. But as time went on, God began to give me tools to help.
I had to let go of people’s comments and realize many weren’t true. I began to pray about those things that offended me and literally hand them over to the Lord. God helped me forfeit my right to be offended. He showed His truth about myself. God even helped me see that I had a part in offending others too. Ouch.
Check out Brant Hansen’s words in the great book “Unoffendable”: "Whatever anyone’s done to me, or to anyone else, I stand just as guilty. People have lied to me, but I’ve lied too. People have been unfaithful to me, but I’ve been unfaithful too. People have hurt me, and I’ve hurt them. I get angry toward murderers, and then here comes Jesus, telling me if I’ve ever hated someone- and I have- I am the murderer’s moral equal. No one likes to hear this. We want to think people are worse than us. It’s one of our favorite pastimes.” (page 10, Unoffendable)
I’d say Jesus Christ had a perfect handle on how to live being “unoffendable.” Look at how he treated Peter, who denied him three times! Jesus knew Peter would betray him. But, it didn’t stop Jesus from loving him. He didn’t give up on Peter. It’s so easy to give up on people. Stop. Pray. Drop your anger. Let stuff go. Embrace God’s forgiveness and choose to be unoffendable.
Quotes by Brant Hansen, Unoffendable-
“I can let stuff go, because it’s not all about me. Simply reminding myself to refuse to take offense is a big part of the battle.” 
“Yes, the world is broken. But don’t be offended by it. Instead, thank God that He’s intervened in it, and He’s going to restore it.”
“We can risk loving people-incredibly difficult, insulting people- because He loves us.”
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment