Monday, December 4, 2017

Christmas Overflow

I made my favorite whole-wheat rolls for our family gathering this past Thanksgiving. It’s a bit of a production, given that I grind wheat berries to make the flour, add a ton of yeast and then knead it all together in my Bosch. This year, I placed the dough in the fridge over night. In the morning, the dough had grown beyond the confines of the bowl!

I have a pretty good picture in my mind of the bread dough living it up and partying in the fridge that night! It had no need to restrain or confine itself. It was fit to be free! It just kept overflowing, and nothing stopped it.

I want my life to overflow with the Gospel just like that bread dough. Always. Every day, especially at the Advent season. I want to see Jesus’ manger getting bigger and bigger in my heart and me getting smaller and smaller. I want to give lots of grace to others and be less irritated when in traffic and crowds. I want to give bigger tips and more thank you’s and fewer complaints. I want to overflow with kindness and God-given patience when I have to waited long enough. I want to freely love those that are hard to love. I want to sip the joys of this Advent season, slowly and reflectively, refusing to give in to the craziness around me. Just like the bread. Unhindered. Overflowing. Free.

What keeps you from living out of God’s abundance? The news and unrest of our day? The stress of shopping? The craziness of the season? Before you know it, a cranky spirit can take over and we can become an all out Grinch. Judging. Evaluating. Complaining. Gossiping. Irritable. Our Grinch-like attitudes don’t have to steal away our Christmas joy!

Stop and think about the next 21 days leading up to Christmas. Start today knowing that God is right there to help you live in this kind of abundance.

“I pray that your love will overflow more and more, and you will keep on growing in knowledge and understanding. For I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives until the day of Christ’s return. May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation- the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ- for this will bring much glory and praise to God.”  Philippians 1:9-11

“May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you.” 1 Thessalonians 3:12

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment