Monday, November 27, 2017

Giving the Gift of Grace

Well, it's that time of the year to start putting together our Christmas lists and checking them twice. So, who really is naughty and nice in your world? Are you keeping track? We keep track more than we know.

Isn't it easy to find fault with others? I think all of us are susceptible to this. I certainly am! Whether we know it or not, we're basically trying to prove we're smarter, better, happier, wealthier, etc. What if others don't do what we ask or what we think is right? How about when family, co-workers and friends fail to meet our expectations? We can get downright cold-hearted and cruel toward others. One wrong turn and they're on our "naughty" list. Somehow, our "naughty" list is truly justified in our minds.

Honestly, I don't want anyone to be on my "naughty" list! I actually have the ability to put an end to this hypocritical spirit! And you do too! When we find fault with others, we elevate our status and forget the mercy God has shown each one of us. The Pharisees in the Bible were a good example of a hypocritical spirit. They were blinded to their own sin and to God's mercy. Instead they were cold-hearted and cruel toward other people. Take note of Jesus' warning toward them: "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within are full of dead people's bones and all uncleanness." (Matthew 23:27)

When you're tempted to find fault with others, either in your mind, verbally or on social media- STOP!!!! Consider Jesus' warning and take a good hard look at your own life. If we truly understood the judgment we deserve from God, why in the world would we find fault with others?

God offers grace and mercy through His Son Jesus Christ. I'm so thankful for Jesus forgiving my sins and receiving the gift of grace! I would be a mess without God in my life! Jesus actually said "Freely you received, freely give." (Matthew 10:8) So, I can freely extend God's love and grace to those around me, simply because of the gift I've received!

Time to be honest. How would you personally answer these three questions? How do I find fault with others? With whom do I withhold grace from? Who am I to judge other people? How can I give the gift of grace this December?

The gift of grace is pretty amazing.  Receive the gift of grace that God freely gives. Extend that grace to others. You will never be the same.

"Always be humble and gentle. Patiently put up with each other and love each other. Try your best to let God's Spirit keep your hearts united. Do this by living in peace." Ephesians 4:2,3

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment