Monday, June 27, 2016

Lessons from la Madeleine's

The other day, I stopped at my happy place, la Madeleines, for lunch. After ordering my Caesar Salad, I made my way to a small table. As I sat down, I noticed an empty wheel chair facing me, piled with clothes. I then noticed an older man sitting at the table, hunched over, eating a salad. Soon after, I saw someone come up behind him and slip him some cash.

I found myself wondering about the man. I assumed that everything he had in life was right there on that wheelchair.  Where did he grow up? Did he have family? What circumstances led him to this life? Where did he sleep at night? What does he fear? What does he enjoy doing? What makes him happy? How is he treated by others? What does he do in a day?

In la Madeleines that day, there was not just a homeless man. Some were moms with kids. Others were business lunches. Some, like myself, were just grabbing a quick solo lunch. There is one thing we ALL had in common. We’ve ALL judged others and we’ve ALL experienced being judged by others. How are we judged? Our appearance. Our actions. Our status. Our job. Our past. Our mistakes. Our choices. Our family.  What we did right. What we did wrong. Who we hang out with. Who we don't hang out with. Do we have a wheelchair piled with clothes or a new Lexus parked outside? Judging others happens everywhere….in restaurants, on our jobs, on the freeway, in a meeting, and of course, on facebook! Sadly, pronouncing judgment upon others seems human nature.

Jesus knew that this judging thing would be something we humans do. In fact, He spoke out against it with a command “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.” (Matthew 7:1-5)

Of course, there are times we do need to judge. We judge between right and wrong. We judge what to do on a freeway and make wise choices. We are called to judge impartially the culpability of a person if we serve on a jury.  I’m talking about something different.  Are you critical of other people? Do you condemn other peoples’ actions? Do you know the full story or are you making your own judgement? Do you speak poorly about others behind their back? Really? Since when are you and I qualified to perfectly judge someone else?

No one likes being judged. So often, people don’t know the whole story of the one being judged. I didn’t know the older man’s story at la Madeleine.  Who am I to judge him? My calling is to love him. Pray for him. Respect him. Who am I to judge others at work or on facebook?  Judging others brings out our critical spirit. Misery loves company so we find others to join with in being critical. We withdraw from those we judge, bringing distance to the relationship. All, the while, a prideful spirit grows. Who are you to judge me? Who am I to judge you? Let’s stop this craziness!

God calls us to forgive others. Let Christ’s peace rule in your hearts. (Colossians 3:12-15) Comfort and encourage others. Honor others above yourself.  Show Christ’s humility to all. Love others…. ALL people. (1 John 4:16)  Don’t let people’s opinion’s or judgements about you steal your joy! Instead, seek out in God’s Word what He says about you! His viewpoint about you is worth reading!

"As long as we continue to live as if we are what we do, what we have, and what other people thing about us, we will remain filled with judgements, opinions, evaluations, and condemnations. We will remain addicted to putting people and things in their “right” place." Henri. J. M. Nouwen

“Judge tenderly, if you must. There is usually a side you have not heard, a story you know nothing about, and a battle waged that you are not having to fight.” Traci Lea LaRussa

“If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” Mother Teresa

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment