Monday, June 13, 2016

A Prayer For Orlando

It wasn’t until mid-day Sunday that my husband and I heard about the mass shooting in Florida.  We were on a plane heading back from a family funeral in Cleveland, Ohio and somehow missed checking our phones until later.  Unbelievable to hear about such a senseless atrocity. There really are no words.

How do we respond? What do we do? I know in the days ahead, we will be informed of ways we can support the victims and their families financially, giving blood and other ways.  But, as we start this day, I know we can do something very powerful. We can pray. In the face of tragedy that leaves us speechless, I ask you to join me in prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father, We come to you today grieving for Orlando, Florida and for our nation. We don’t know what to do, but our eyes turn to you, God of all comfort and hope. We pray for the victims who are now fighting for their lives in the hospitals. God, we pray that no more lives would be loss from this senseless shooting. Great Physician, we ask that you give each doctor your wisdom and guidance as they care for those wounded. Give healing to all victims who were wounded, physically and emotionally. We pray for the families and friends who loss someone last night.  You know each person grieving today. Each one. We ask that each one of these family members and friends experiences a peace that passes all understanding as they walk through the days ahead.  Strengthen them to face the future with faith, hope and courage. We pray for the City of Orlando and its law enforcement officials and first responders. Lord, will you gently care for and heal those who saw face to face such horrific loss of life and horror? We pray God, that you would be strong for all those vulnerable today. Hold out your gentle hand of peace to those who witnessed and survived this tragedy. Lord, please walk with them in the days ahead as they sort out the cries of their heart. Father, we now ask that you would meet all of us today with a greater understanding of who you are and who you can be in our lives. It is so very easy for us to turn to fear and wonder, when will it happen next? Should I live in fear? Instead, Lord, we ask that we would echo the words of the Psalmist in Psalm 62:5-8 “Yes, my soul, finds rest in God; my hope comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; He is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.” Lord, we hold on to the truth that you feel this pain deeply…”The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” (Psalm 34:8) For all those brokenhearted and crushed in spirit, be near. Be so near that they can feel something unexplainable that can only be You! Give comfort! Give peace! Give hope! Give love! Give mercy! Give unity! Lastly, God of Justice, we ask that you would bring before you all who perpetrate violence. Turn the hearts of those who seek violence away from evil. Bring them to repentance. Lord, teach us all how to love one another as you love us. In Jesus name, Amen.


Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.


No comments:

Post a Comment