Friday, April 8, 2016

When My World Becomes Shaky


Nothing like being on a horse to remind you of an important lesson in life. A few weeks ago, I was having a lesson with my trainer at the barn. Diego appeared to have an itch and just like we humans, he wanted to stop and itch his leg. Well, after a while, my trainer and I didn’t have much empathy for his constant “stop and itch” scenarios. So, I became a bit more persistent with my spurs. Diego then decided to provide a series of mini-bucks in a full canter as if to say “STOP, I have an itch!”

That riding lesson landed me a few visits at the local chiropractor. As much as I love riding, being on a horse isn’t always the most solid, secure place to be in life. I’ve ridden most of my life and have taken my share of bucks, rears and falls off horses.  I am very aware of the dangers that are involved in getting on a horse.

I've been thinking about security lately. What makes a person feel truly secure? What makes a person feel insecure?  Have you listened to the news lately? Shootings. ISIS. Murder-Suicides. Accidents on our streets. Deaths. Nothing feels real secure. Take work life and home life.  Insecurity can lurk behind a performance issue at work or family stressor at home. We find our own insecurities bursting forth at the most inopportune times, almost feeling like we’re walking on shaky ground. Perhaps we carry some unresolved, unhealed parts of our life script and when we get broadsided in those tender areas, it can leave us feeling pretty insecure.

In Psalm 62:5-8, the Psalmist says “Yes, my soul, find rest in God, my hope comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; e is my fortress. I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to hi, for God is our refuge.”  I love reading God’s Word! It gives me treasures just like this verse to contemplate. In God, I can find rest and hope. He is my rock, my salvation and my fortress. He is the one I trust. He is my refuge.  I need that reminder when my world becomes shaky. I need that reminder when I look to people for approval instead of God. I need that reminder when I’m honest about the frayed parts of my life. I need that reminder when I’m stressed out and don’t have the hours in the day to do what I need to do. Don’t you?
As you start this week, take time to meditate on Psalm 62:5-8. Write it on a card and place it in a prominent place on your desk. Mediating on Scripture reminds us where to keep our focus. Security is found truly in God. Not people. Not in a hefty bank account. Not success. Not in our productivity. Not in our titles. Not affirmations. Not likes on facebook. Not in accolades. Not in winning the lottery. Not in riding a horse. Security is found in God.

This week, my natural insecurities will bubble up to the surface in some shape or form. I hate that, but it’s just reality. How will I handle them when they come? Cover up and go on? Or invite God to be my rock, my true security? I know my answer. How about you?
God is our refuge and strength. A very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!” Psalm 91:1-2

He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD is your keeper. The LORD is your shade on your right hand. Psalm 121: 3-5
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment