Monday, September 9, 2024

Dish Washing Practices

It seems like it would be a great security question: What was your first job? We can all remember what that was. My parents put me to work as soon as I was age-appropriate. I washed dishes at our local country club.

Even though washing dishes sounds quite boring, it wasn’t. We had a great staff at the country club and the kitchen ended up being a place of lots of laughter and fun. Yet, the bottom line, it was still washing dishes. I’m happy to have moved on, but I want to share about another dishwasher who used his time washing beautifully.

Brother Lawrence was born around 1611 and served as a lay brother in a Carmelite monastery in Paris. There’s not much known about his life. He served as a soldier and then after becoming injured, did various jobs. He became a follower of Christ at 18 and later in life, he worked in a monastery kitchen, doing dishes and other odd jobs. No one would have imagined that his humble man would become famous and known as “Brother Lawrence’ because of his book, “The Practice of the Presence of God.” This reminds me that we may not enjoy everything we do, but with the help of God, we can do it with joy and Jesus' presence!

The publishers of his book wrote, “He showed us how, at any moment and in any circumstance, the soul that seeks God may find Him, and the practice the presence of God.” To be noted, Brother Lawrence didn’t have a natural great aversion to washing dishes. Yet, at this point in his life. He accustomed himself to do everything there for the love of God, and with prayer, upon all occasions, for his grace to do his work well, he had found everything easy, during 15 years that he had been employed there. (page, 20, The Practice of the Presence of God)

I think most who know about Brother Lawrence would love to model his life with God. He loved God and simply wanted to pour his attention on Him. He would say “Let him think of God the most he can.” He saw this as a holy exercise to practice.  

What does this mean for each of us as we go about our busy lives? 

1. What might an intimate walk with God look like for you?
2. How could practicing the presence of God help you as you work or volunteer?
3. What would practicing an ongoing conversation with God look like for you?
4. Do you desire to please God in your actions, words, and thoughts?
5. Can you pray to God in those moments that might feel so boring?

It starts with knowing Jesus as our Savior. God longs for us to enjoy a rich relationship with Him! For me, I believe that God longs for me to interact with Him throughout the day. Talking, listening, and being in His presence are possible for each of us too!

“The time of business does not with me differ from the time of prayer, and in the noise and clatter of my kitchen… I possess God in as great tranquility as if I were upon my knees at the blessed sacrament.” Brother Lawrence
Take a listen: Draw Me Close: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Rl9Fw23u4

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment