Monday, September 11, 2023

Bandwagoner

 I hit the jackpot last Saturday when I sat down to watch college football. I just happened to turn on the TCU and Colorado game. It did not disappoint. As you may know, Coach Prime (Deion Sanders) led the Colorado Buffaloes to upset 17th-ranked TCU. The game had me glued to my seat, as the lead went back and forth throughout the game. By the 4th quarter, I was shouting like crazy, cheering my new team on to victory. Yes, I was one of the new official bandwagon fans. I’ll stay on board until further notice, even though I will always cheer for my Buckeyes.

But Coach Prime. My goodness. I watched his opening introduction when he first arrived in Colorado, notoriously known as “We’re coming.” Well, Coach Prime and his team did come and beat an impressive TCU team. His character, attitude, passion, and faith are beautiful qualities that inspire for sure. He believes in his kids. He loves his kids.

Check out Coach Prime’s halftime words at full volume in the locker room:

We’re not going to beat ourselves. We’re not going to beat ourselves. We’re going to beat them. You’re apprehensive. You didn’t really believe. But now you should. Everything we need is right in this locker room. You need to make up your mind as to how you want this story to be written. Let’s go out and be dominant. We’re going to beat them, but we’re going to do it with class and dignity. Look at the person next to you and say “I believe.” I BELIEVE!

Coach Prime has faced his challenges. In 2022, he experienced a health scare, suffering from blood clots that forced the doctors to remove two of his toes. He admitted it was one of the most trying times of his life, but He trusted God so much. Coach Prime said “My faith was sustained. How can you even measure your faith if you’re not challenged?”

Even as he stepped down from his coaching position at Jackson State, he was met with much criticism. Yet, he ignored his critics. “You have to understand the people that are criticizing you. I never listen to my critics because my critics have critics.”

Perhaps, you and I need a bit of the passion and zeal of Coach Prime. Maybe we need to really BELIEVE that with God, all things are possible. (Matthew 19:26) Maybe when bad things happen, we need to ask God to increase our faith. Maybe we need to tell those near and dear to us “I believe in you!" Just maybe, when criticized, you can find God’s unfailing love and approval.

Coach Prime isn’t perfect, but he is surely motivating. We have a heavenly Father that is perfect. He loves us and desires a relationship with us. He believes in us, even when we don’t believe in ourselves. He went the distance for us by allowing His Son to die so that we could experience everlasting life. Do you believe? 
Take a listen: Stand in Faith with Danny Gokey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BL7mN4jV8w

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment