Monday, February 6, 2023

Firm Foundation

We don’t live in South Texas for weather like last week. A good chunk of Texas endured some “weather event” albeit ice, snow, sleet, or a combination thereof. The frozen trees, icy roads, and power outages wreaked havoc on so many! The barn where my horse, Daisy, lives had incredible damage to trees.  We didn’t have damage like the barn and our next-door neighbor, but we went quite a while without power. Let’s just say I have a new appreciation for electricity and warmth.

I was blown away by all the damage to trees in central Texas. Across the Texas Hill Country, trees snapped under the weight of more and more ice during several days of freezing rain. As the branches gave way to the heavy ice, they took power lines with them. I learned that Live Oaks, which keep their leaves through the winter, collect more ice than trees that drop their leaves in the fall. Juniper trees, (Cedar trees) were hit hard too, as was our neighbor’s tree. It was shocking to see the destruction of what looked like strong trees.

With the Central Texas operations for Texas A& M Forest Service, Jonathan Motsinger summed it up well “It’s a really, really, thick layer of ice. Trees can only support weight to a certain extent and then they fail.”

As we experienced some of these challenges this week, I couldn’t help but think about the character of our God and how He is not at all like those trees, swaying, cracking, breaking, and falling. He will never, never fail us. I think the song by Maverick City Music, “Firm Foundation (He Won’t)” is perfect for a week like this! Consider these words:

Christ is my firm foundation
The rock on which I stand
When everything around me is shaken
I’ve never been more glad
That I put my faith in Jesus
‘Cause He’s never let me down
He’s faithful through generations 
So why would He fail now?
He won’t.

No, He won’t, no, He won’t
No, He won’t
He won’t, He won’t, He won’t, He won’t

I’ve still got joy in chaos
I’ve got peace that makes no sense
I won’t be going under 
I’m not held by my own strength
‘Cause I’ve built my life on Jesus
He’s never let me down
He’s faithful through every season
So why would He fail now? (He won’t) 

Rain came, wind blew
But my house was built on You
I’m safe with You
I’m gonna make it through………..


In this crazy, unstable world I need a God that will never let me down. He never has. He never will.  
Take a listen: (Chandler Moore and Cody Carnes, by Mavercity City Music) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOP4s8fOEm0

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment