Monday, November 21, 2022

Changing our Perspective

I saw a quote that seemed pertinent to this Thanksgiving: “Some people grumble that roses have thorns. I am grateful that thorns have roses.” (Alphonse Karr) Maybe you’ve faced a holiday where it just wasn’t cracking up to be what you expected. For me, the day before Thanksgiving, I’ll be having sinus surgery. So, I’m planning a rip-roaring holiday!

I’m sure we’ve all faced circumstances that aren’t quite what we planned for. I’ve been waiting for months to get this surgery done. Who doesn’t want to feel better? Finally, they gave me their first available date for surgery, the day before Thanksgiving. What’s a girl to do? I took it!

So, I could look at this whole situation and grumble: “I can’t have a normal Thanksgiving. I can’t cook and have people over like I love to do. I can’t probably even enjoy food!” Grumble. Grumble. Grumble. Or, I could say: “I’m so thankful I found a doctor who knows what’s wrong. I’m so thankful that I CAN get it done. I’m so thankful that we have insurance. I’m so thankful I’ll feel better soon. I’m so thankful for doctors who know how to solve this problem.” A Change of Perspective.

You see, often we prefer to grumble that roses have thorns and not see that thorns have roses! We’re so stuck on what we don’t have that we miss what we do have. 1 Thessalonians 5:18  says, “Give thanks in all circumstances.” Now, that’s a hard verse. But please note, the Bible isn’t commanding us to FEEL thankful in all circumstances! It tells us to give thanks! (Sharon Jaynes) I find that when I lift my eyes from the “grumble” part of my situation and instead THANK God, I find such peace and comfort.

Sharon Jaynes writes “Gratitude changes the lens through which we see the circumstance in our little slice of time. Thanksgiving changes our perspective despite broken dreams, broken relationships, tumultuous circumstances, and unfulfilled longs. As we praise God for who He is and thank Him for what He’s done, our perspective of Him grows larger and our problems grow smaller.” (Gratitude Changes Everything)

As you walk into Thanksgiving week, where do you need a change of perspective? How might You thank God, even when the circumstance doesn’t FEEL particularly good?

If you could name one thing you’re grumbling about this week, what would it be? _________________

Lord, Thank You for this special time of year. I pray a blessing on each person and ask that whatever their “grumble” is this week, You would truly help them give thanks. Maybe it’s hard to find something to be thankful for, but, LORD, I pray You to help each person gravitate to a thankful heart. We may not understand all that’s going on in our life, but we are going to trust You fully each day. Amen.
When we struggle with our perspective, it helps to worship and remember that He is more than enough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_uLYfpgwP4

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment