Monday, July 11, 2022

Patience NOW!

We all need a bit of patience, and of course, we need it RIGHT NOW. I’ve been musing a bit on the importance of patience these days.

Patience to handle the heat, day after day.
Patience as we serve people, no matter how they act.
Patience while on vacation and all that entails.
Patience with a problem at work.
Patience with a challenging family member.

I get it, no one is perfect. But, bottom line, we need to be able to grow in patience to handle the challenging times we live in.

While on vacation, I’ve been thinking a lot about patience. I tend to like to go a bit above the speed limit and find myself irritated when I’m behind a slow driver. My impatience bubbles to the surface and out goes the patience. Yet, when I look at myself closely, it’s pride that’s at the heart of my impatience.

1 Timothy 1:16 says “But God had mercy on me so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worse sinners.” I must remember that God has had great patience with me my entire life. Would it not be important for me to show patience, even to those who genuinely try my patience?

Ecclesiastes 7:8 says “Finishing is better than starting. Patience is better than pride.” Solomon in this verse compares patience and hasty anger. The Bible Tools Commentary writes: “He describes anger ready to burst out at even slight irritations because a person’s pride convinces him that even slight irritations simply should not happen to such a wonderful person as he is. He explodes because of his impatience.” (www.bibletools.org,  Ecclesiastes 7:8-10) I’m convinced that pride and impatience go hand in hand. May it be that when pride seeps into our lives, God’s answer to that for us is humble patience.

What would it look like to develop patience in your life this summer? Think about the rest of your summer. What will you encounter? A vacation? Stressful work situation? A transition? A family reunion? Horrible traffic? Long lines in restaurants?

Every day you can practice patience. It may not be something you get RIGHT NOW. God is the One who can help us develop patience. It’s because of Jesus Christ in our life, that we can be filled with grace and His presence to show patience.

Ask God for patience! Make it a part of your daily prayer to Him. He will answer!

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment