Monday, December 13, 2021

Hopes and Fears

A two-hour dentist appointment isn’t the most exciting way to start the day. It didn’t take long for that dreaded sound of the drill to begin. Just for my curiosity, I learned that this fancy drill can reach between 90 to 100 decibels. Who doesn’t dread that sound?

It wasn’t too much later during my ordeal that Simba ambled up toward my chair. Simba is a service dog for a staff member at my dentist's office. This beautiful curly hair Golden Retriever was just what a hate-going-to-the dentist-gal needed! My anxiety seemed to melt away as I pet Simba. Simba’s presence got me through the uncomfortable procedure.

I think about all those people in the Christmas story. They had fears as well! The song “O Little Town of Bethlehem” is a song near and dear to my heart. Philips Brooks’ hymn reminds me of two realities with one simple answer. “The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee….”

All of us have experienced fears, especially in the last few years. Fears of loss, fears of not having enough, fear of being enough, and fear of “If only” or “What if?” Where are our hopes and fears met? They are met in God.

So often, we “hope” for things to change, and THEN things will be ok. Things will be ok when my prayers get answered the way I want. Things will be ok when I get the job I want. Things will be ok when people change. Things will be ok when the medical issue is healed. Consider these verses:

“And now, O Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you.” Psalm 39:7

“Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God.” Isaiah 41:10

What are your deepest hopes? What are your greatest fears? I went into the dentist almost ready to become anxious because that’s so easy to do! Yet, my God was so good to remind me that I do not have to fear. My hope is in Him! He will see me through and be there right beside me, holding me close because I’m His child, just like all of us. Simba was that beautiful reminder that I am never alone in my fears.

This Christmas, consider the nearness of our God came to this earth in the form of a baby Jesus. Ponder the words of the song “O Little Town of Bethlehem.” May God rest your fears and give you His great hope this Christmas. He is near.

“O little town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie! Above thy deep and dreamless sleep the silent stars go by; yet in thy dark streets shineth the everlasting light. The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight.

For Christ is born of Mary, and, gathered all above, while mortals sleep, the angels keep their watch of wond’ring love. O morning stars, together proclaim the holy birth, and praises sing to God the King and peace to all the earth.

How silently, how silently, the wondrous gift is giv’n! So God imparts to human hearts the blessings of his heav’n. No ear may hear his coming, but in this world of sin, where meek souls will receive him, still the dear Christ enters in.

O holy Child of Bethlehem, descent to us, we pray, cast out our sin and enter in, be born in us today. We hear the Christmas angels the great glad tidings tell; O come to us, abide with us, our Lord Immanuel.” Philips Brooks, 1868)


Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment