Monday, February 1, 2021

Much More

Google search 'Stress related to COVID 19.' You will get way more information than you care to read. Most of us have had our share of stress in this last year brought on by COVID. We already know the stress that COVID 19 has caused.

How are you doing with that stress?  How has that stress affected your personality? Your relationships? Your outlook on life? How work?

Jesus lived a perfect life as a human and He actually dealt with way more stress than we ever will. He gave us instruction in how to walk through these times. Tucked away in the Gospels, Jesus has something to say about this very thing:

“If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:30-34

Consider the words of Oswald Chambers “Every time we have gone back in spiritual communion it has been because we have impertinently known better than Jesus Christ. We have allowed the cares of the word to come in, and have forgotten the 'much more' of our Heavenly Father.” (Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, January 26. Note: Chambers was an evangelist, teacher and also a YMCA chaplain in Cairo, Egypt.)

This week, I’ve been pondering the words 'much more.' To my regret, I too easily forget how much more my God will take care of me! Why do I suddenly get worried or anxious about something? It can happen like a drop of a hat! However, when I start my day in God’s Word, take time to pray for the many things happening that day, I have a better perspective. I don’t tend to worry because my focus is on Jesus. I still find just talking to God throughout the day invaluable. Bottom line: I need spiritual communion with God non-stop.

Honestly, there are so many other things that compete with God in our lives. Whether it’s relationships, work life, life’s circumstances or even anger or disappointment towards God, these things keep God at bay in your life. As you reset for this new month of February, why not do a reset with God?

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment